Re: [S-R] Copies of Church Records in Slovakia

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 27, 2006
      Vladimir is of course, right on the mark.
      I will add my $0.02 here and try to clear another matter.

      Mick Sura and others have discovered that *some* eastern Slovakia church
      record (a-la 1600s-1800s) copies have been found where they don't belong,
      in the Hungary Archives branch in Satoraljaujhely, Hungary.
      For the most part, these are "Bishop's copies", known as "Druhopisy" This
      is a hit or miss proposition. The Hungary Archive denies their existence,
      but if you send feet to visit the archive personally, they can *sometimes*
      be found. Since this is highly irregular, there is no official statement.
      What we have learned is only anecdotal as individuals return from the
      archives. What we know so far is: a) records are pre-1895, b) most, not
      all are Bishop's copies, c) most, we thing are Greek Catholic, d)
      Satoraljaujhely was the capital of Zemplin county, which was severed in
      1918, half territory to Hungary, half territory to (Czecho)Slovakia which
      may explain. Thus it's our expectation the records only include churches
      found in the former Zemplen territory of today's Slovakia. Most counties
      in the west were not severed as such in the capitulation.

      There have been no reports of people finding western Slovakia villages in
      Hungary archives. Then again I am not convinced anyone has looked in the
      other regional Hungary archives. Anyways, I think the chances are quite
      slim.

      Separately, Whenever you discuss villages very close to any political
      border, it is alway prudent to check villages "across the border", since
      100 years ago borders were much more porous than today.

      Lastly, the Greek Catholic Church was shut down by the state in the
      1950's. and not all of their records made it to the state archives.
      Sometimes the post 1895 records did make it. If you go back to a reopened
      GC church today, 99% of the time the church priest will NOT have any old
      records.

      However, in the case of other Christiandenominations, including Protestant
      and Roman Catholic, often *some* of the older records are still found with
      the parish priest.

      Bill

      --
      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 27, 2006
        Thanks Bill, I plan to visit my gram's village
        church(es) -- and see if anything remains and will let
        you know -- later this summer. I'm not expecting much
        if anything, but one never knows if one doesn't try to
        look.

        Caye

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 27, 2006
          what religion and what village?

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 27, 2006
            Brezina, SK . . . it was Kolbas(a) Hungary when gram
            left in 1921 . . . it's southeast of Kosice and
            southwest of Trebisov, near the Hungarian border. I
            was able to get some films through LDS, but I'm still
            interested to see if the church has anything. Found a
            2nd cousin who has a box of letters, photos and
            material swatches (for wedding dresses apparently)
            that her gram and mine (sisters) sent back and forth
            during the 1920's.

            Caye

            === message truncated ===

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 27, 2006
              Oh, forgot to say there are three churches in the
              village, orthodox (russian it looks like in photos),
              greek (catholic I'm assuming) and roman catholic. My
              gram was Russian Orthodox here in the the states, but
              I want to guess probably Greek Catholic back in
              Hungary -- although the village is tiny, so I can
              probably at least ask at all three.

              Caye

              --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

              > Brezina, SK . . . it was Kolbas(a) Hungary when gram
              > left in 1921 . . . it's southeast of Kosice and
              > southwest of Trebisov, near the Hungarian border. I
              > was able to get some films through LDS, but I'm
              > still
              > interested to see if the church has anything. Found
              > 2nd cousin who has a box of letters, photos and
              > material swatches (for wedding dresses apparently)
              > that her gram and mine (sisters) sent back and forth
              > during the 1920's.
              >

              > Caye
              >

              > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
              >
              > > what religion and what village?
              > >
              > > On Thu, April 27, 2006 12:00 pm, Caye Caswick
              > said:
              > > >
              > > > Thanks Bill, I plan to visit my gram's village
              > > > church(es) -- and see if anything remains and
              > will
              > > let
              > > > you know -- later this summer. I'm not
              > expecting
              > > much
              > > > if anything, but one never knows if one doesn't
              > > try to
              > > > look.
              > > >

              > > > Caye
              > > >

              > > > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...>

              > another

              > *some*
              > found
              > > Satoraljaujhely,
              > > Archive
              > there
              > > is
              > are
              > > Greek
              > > county,
              > > records
              > today's

              > > western
              > convinced
              > > think

              > > close
              > than

              > > by
              > > the
              > If
              > > you
              > > priest

              > > Regional
              > of
              > > here
              > District.
              > > Church
              > Trnava
              > you
              > > missing.
              > > lost".

              === message truncated ===

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • S. R.
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 28, 2006
                I need to find the town he came from in the Hungarian Empire. Would there
                be any records in Antwerp?

                Emigration Sep 27, 1892 to Philadelphia PA from Antwerp Belgium on the ship
                Pennsylvania PAL ("Paul Kish" at death) (KISS) Kis born May 02, 1862 in the
                Hungarian Empire, spoke Hungarian, Roman Catholic died Oct 06, 1941 in
                Unionville, Ohio, 79 yrs., Ashtabula Co. Evergreen Cemetery

                That is all I know from certain.
                Simon Richard KRIZAN SRkrizan@... Searching for
                Gergely, Gombos, Gorcsos, Hajdu, (KIS, Kiss or Kish), Sase, (Suzek or
                Suzer), (TUROCZY, Turocziy or Turoczi) ), & Varga all from the Hungarian
                Kingdom?

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 29, 2006
                  I am no pro at steamships or travel history. There is tons of good info on
                  the web and elsewhere about this topic.

                  Here is the little info I know:

                  1. Manifests of that era were very sketchy.
                  2. The German steamship companies didn't get into shuttling emigrants in a
                  big way until the late 1890s. Until that time the Dutch shipping lines
                  predominated.
                  The statistics from our lands bear this out:
                  http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g024.htm

                  2. The lists of ship arrivals to the USA is pretty complete, compiled at the
                  "Morton-Allen" books, years ago. They have since been transcribed and
                  several free databases are in place to search. Cimorelli is one of my
                  favorites. http://www.cimorelli.com/safe/shipmenu.htm I believe
                  www.stevemorse.com has indices too. It shows the steamer PENNLAND of the
                  Red Star Line, arrived in the port of New York on 9/28/1892. It departed
                  from Antwerp.

                  Based on the dates you show I will suggest a few "easy" places to find you
                  immigrant's village would include
                  1. Church baptismal records of his children, if Christian of course
                  2. Social Security application
                  3. INS file
                  4. See if he might have traveled back to Europe at a later time, perhaps
                  there later records with more detail.
                  5. Checkout his friends and other family and see who else came. Be a good
                  detective. 100 years ago it was very common for people to have boarders.
                  Often they were related. You can often find them on the census records.
                  While the census may not give you the village of these people , it gives you
                  another name to go back and query the manifests and other records with.
                  Often these folks were from the same village.

                  Other ideas and details on the above are here:
                  http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

                  Good Luck,

                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 30, 2006
                    Simon (and SR group)- Your recent message caught my attention. Let me first apologize to everyone here because I am a neophyte at this stuff. I joined the SR group a few weeks ago and have been monitoring it to see how people do things for a family search, to recognize any related surnames, etc. I have not even begun to organize my research or thoughts to post to the group yet.

                    However, in your last line you noted the surname VARGA. That is my maiden name and one that I am searching, in addition to KNAPIK. My grandparents emigrated from a little town in Austria-Hungary (Slovakia?) called Plavnica. My grandmother, Magdalen Knapik (later Varga) was born there on 7/28/1878. My grandfather, Charles Varga, was also from there. Though they came from the same village, they did not know each other. Charles Varga came to the US when he was around 18, Magdalen Kanpik came over when she was around 16. They met in NY and were married. We think both of their parents died in their 60's (around 1918?) from the flu epidemic in Europe. I don't have any info currently on them. Magdalen's parents had 5 daughters and 1 son. Charles' parents had 5 sons and 1 daughter who all came to the US: Charles (NY/CT) Stephen (CT), Martin (NY), Paul (OH), Andrew (CT) and Mary (CT).

                    After Magdalen and Charles were in the US for about 2 years they met and got married. They had 11 children, 4 of which died at an early age. One of those children, John J. Varga, was my father (born 12/11/1900). He fought in WWI and was wounded. He died 2/19/1990. The Vargas (Charles & Magdalen) lived first in NY, then in NJ and later in CT.

                    I don't know if any of these names are related to yours, but I thought I'd throw them out there to see what happened. Thanks!--Marty V. Mitchell

                    "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:
                    I need to find the town he came from in the Hungarian Empire. Would there
                    be any records in Antwerp?

                    Emigration Sep 27, 1892 to Philadelphia PA from Antwerp Belgium on the ship
                    Pennsylvania PAL ("Paul Kish" at death) (KISS) Kis born May 02, 1862 in the
                    Hungarian Empire, spoke Hungarian, Roman Catholic died Oct 06, 1941 in
                    Unionville, Ohio, 79 yrs., Ashtabula Co. Evergreen Cemetery

                    That is all I know from certain.
                    Simon Richard KRIZAN SRkrizan@... Searching for
                    Gergely, Gombos, Gorcsos, Hajdu, (KIS, Kiss or Kish), Sase, (Suzek or
                    Suzer), (TUROCZY, Turocziy or Turoczi) ), & Varga all from the Hungarian
                    Kingdom?

                    Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

                    ---------------------------------

                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 1, 2006
                      >>> My grandparents emigrated from a little town in Austria-Hungary
                      (Slovakia?) called Plavnica. <<<

                      Welcome to a great new hobby. You stated the village name but not
                      the religion. I assume RC.

                      BASIC RESEARCH HELP
                      For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
                      site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

                      CURRENT MAP

                      ShtelSeeker will take you to Plavnica, 184.4 miles ENE of
                      Bratislava, via Mapquest.

                      SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
                      You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
                      them up in the phone book white pages at
                      http://www.zoznamst.sk/hladaj?co=st_zoznam_en

                      To use the search engine, you need to complete the first 5 letters
                      of last name plus wild card *
                      In the 'Town' section use 00 and leave the area code blank to search
                      all Slovakia.

                      KNAPIK JÁN ING. Plavnica 117, Plavnica
                      + 55 others in area code 052

                      Varga Štefan Plavnica 402, Plavnica
                      + 42 others in area code 052

                      CENTER (FHC)
                      www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
                      (zomreli).

                      LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages,
                      deaths, and confirmations for the parish of Plavnica (Stará
                      L'ubovòa), Slovakia; formerly Plavnicza, Sáros, Hungary.

                      Krstení 1693-1703, 1724-1748, 1714-1717, 1722 Krstení 1749-1777,
                      1691, 1686, 1698 Krstení 1688-1690, 1693 Zomrelí 1700-1702, 1705-
                      1706, 1710, 1714-1731 Zomrelí 1733-1736 Krstení 1723, 1715-1717
                      Zomrelí 1737-1738, 1732, 1739-1777 Sobášení 1683-1693, 1695-1702,
                      1706-1707 Sobášení 1714-1718, 1722-1726 Krstení 1711-1714 Sobášení
                      1728-1744, 1748-1750 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793215 Item 2 ]

                      Sobášení 1750-1758, 1744-1746, 1759-1777 Krstení 1843-1856, 1776-
                      1779 Prestúpení Krstení 1779-1868, 1871 Zomrelí 1776-1869 Sobášení
                      1776-1868 Birmovaní 1851, 1836 Krstení 1868-1869 - FHL INTL Film [
                      1793216 ]

                      Krstení 1869-1879 Sobášení 1869-1880 Zomrelí 1869-1879 Krstení 1879-
                      1888 Sobášení 1881-1907 Zomrelí 1880-1889 Krstení 1888-1924 Zomrelí
                      1889-1890 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793217 ]

                      Zomrelí 1889-1926 . DRUHOPISÝ: Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1865, 1868-
                      1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793218 Items 1-2 ]

                      LDS also has the VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census films.
                      Plavnicza (Plavnica) FHL INTL Film 2162320 Item 3
                      (cont.) Plavnicz (Plavnica) FHL INTL Film 2162321 Item 1

                      Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
                      to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
                      film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
                      research.

                      TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
                      translations.

                      For a Hungarian translation guide which you can download –
                      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rg.asp?
                      Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab
                      =&Entry=&Guide=WLHungarian.ASP

                      1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                      The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

                      Look in the upper left corner of the map for Paloncza. That's your
                      village on the 1910 map.

                      CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
                      get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
                      will likely find in church records.

                      There's 200 years of family history. Happy squinting.
                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 1, 2006
                        There was a Kiss (Kish) family at my grandmother's
                        church on the east side of Cleveland -- St. Michael's
                        Russian Orthodox -- now known as Archangel Michael
                        Orthodox -- and now in Broadview, OH -- they have
                        records going back to about 1926-1927 and will share
                        them.

                        Caye

                        --- "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:

                        > I need to find the town he came from in the
                        > Hungarian Empire. Would there
                        > be any records in Antwerp?
                        >
                        > Emigration Sep 27, 1892 to Philadelphia PA from
                        > Antwerp Belgium on the ship
                        > Pennsylvania PAL ("Paul Kish" at death) (KISS) Kis
                        > born May 02, 1862 in the
                        > Hungarian Empire, spoke Hungarian, Roman Catholic
                        > died Oct 06, 1941 in
                        > Unionville, Ohio, 79 yrs., Ashtabula Co. Evergreen
                        > Cemetery
                        >
                        > That is all I know from certain.
                        > Simon Richard KRIZAN SRkrizan@...
                        > Searching for
                        > Gergely, Gombos, Gorcsos, Hajdu, (KIS, Kiss or
                        > Kish), Sase, (Suzek or
                        > Suzer), (TUROCZY, Turocziy or Turoczi) ), & Varga
                        > all from the Hungarian
                        > Kingdom?

                        > removed]

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • MA Bensh
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                          Where in NJ were your VARGA relatives? I have a relative who has surname VARGA, WARGA, or MARGA - not really sure. They were from Bayonne, NJ.

                          "M. Mitchell" <mnm4va@...> wrote: Simon (and SR group)- Your recent message caught my attention. Let me first apologize to everyone here because I am a neophyte at this stuff. I joined the SR group a few weeks ago and have been monitoring it to see how people do things for a family search, to recognize any related surnames, etc. I have not even begun to organize my research or thoughts to post to the group yet.

                          "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:
[...]

                          Melissa

                        • M. Mitchell

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                              WOW. Thank you! I can see I have my work cut out for me. Yes, the family was RC. So far most of my info is from what an aunt has written to me; no research records yet. I'm just getting started, and based on the below info you gave me, a little overwhelmed!

                              I've tried to search online for some records from Ellis Island but haven't found much yet. I also note that it frequently shuttles me to the Ancestry.com site which wants me to pay for a membership in order to get info. Is this what I should do in order to get it? And do the other sites you named also charge a fee? I'm not sure I'm ready to start shellling out a lot of money yet. Or, is that to be expected when you start a search like this?

                              Thanks for your help!--Marty

                            • Dr. Joe Q
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                                There is a lot of initial preparation you should do
                                before paying for sites such as Ancestry.com and to
                                genealogists to search for you. Start with data you
                                have from your aunt, be sure to ask her these
                                questions regarding every family member (you need
                                these data any way to put together a pedigree and
                                family tree):

                                1. Complete (real) name e.g. William Scott Smith not
                                "Buddy" or Uncle Bill, and be sure that it the
                                complete name. I have a Great Great Grandfather that
                                went only by his middle name, that is the name on his
                                grave marker e.g. John Jones, but the church records
                                have his complete name George John Jones.

                                2. Date and place of birth, complete such as January
                                17, 1894; Pittsburgh, PA

                                3. Date and place of death (including burial)

                                4. Date and place of marriage / divorce

                                If you enlist the aid of a genealogist, you will be
                                asked to provide all this information. You have a
                                start with Plavnica, Magdalen Knapik (later Varga)
                                born there on 7/28/1878, approximate time they came to
                                the US, etc. Now you have to keep working back. When
                                you come to a wall (the brick wall that everyone in a
                                genealogical search encounters) ask for help from a
                                professional. By that time you will have done enough
                                searching that you will have a very good idea of where
                                you need the help.

                                Best wishes.

                                Dr. "Q"

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • johnqadam
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 2, 2006
                                  >>> I've tried to search online for some records from Ellis Island but
                                  haven't found much yet. I also note that it frequently shuttles me to
                                  the Ancestry.com site which wants me to pay for a membership in order
                                  to get info. Is this what I should do in order to get it? And do the
                                  other sites you named also charge a fee? I'm not sure I'm ready to
                                  start shellling out a lot of money yet. Or, is that to be expected
                                  when you start a search like this? <<<

                                  What you SHOULD DO is to research the Plavnica church records and not
                                  waste time hoping that someone else has already done all the research
                                  work for you. That's what Ancestry is trying to make you believe.

                                  Stop staring at the computer screen. Just get on with it!

                                  Start with what you KNOW and work backwards. Come back with SPECIFIC
                                  questions about the films of church records that you have ordered and
                                  studied at your nearest LDS Family History Center.
                                • Michael Mojher
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 4, 2008
                                    Jim,
                                    At this website, http://www.cisarik.com/ , you will find a outline map in green blocks. The upper left four blocks covers the area around Plavnica. When you click on block a map comes up with village names circled in red. Click on the village and a surname list for that village comes up. Knapik and Knapikova are found in Orlov, Hromos, Durkova and Lubotin. It is a surname found often. Fengya was not listed in any of the villages. There was a Fend'a and Fend'ova in Orlov and Udol.
                                    Are you certain of the spelling of Fengya.
                                    Have you gone through the church records of Plavnica yet looking for Stephen Knapik and Anna Fengya?
                                    Michael