Copies of Church Records in Slovakia

  • David Holoshka (LD/EAB)
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2006
      Hi Vladimir,

      I am looking right now in a village called Cerova in NW Slovakia on the
      west side of the Maly Tantra Mountains. It lies in Nyitra, and in
      modern day Okres Trnava near Jablonica and Senice.

      There is a gap in the R.C. church records from about 1900-1908 (if I
      remember correctly). The records older and younger than this time are
      located in the Bratislava Archive (according to the FHL Prehlad
      document).

      If the local village church does not have these records, could there be
      copies stored in a diocese church archive some where else ?

      Am I correct to assume that the "District" archives are a government
      archive or are you refering to a district church archive ?

      Regards,

      David Holoska

      p.s. Is it correct to assume that these gaps in the church records held
      by the Bratislava Archives are due in most cases to the destruction/loss
      of the church records ?