For Tom Potsko and other Slovak descendants

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2006
      Dear Tom,

      First of all, I apologize for sending that message to Vladimir out to
      everyone. But to answer your question, Tom, No, I'm not an archeologist,
      though my daughter is. Not sure how that is related, though. At any rate,
      for those who might be interested and who do not yet know, my husband
      inherited the large set of manuscripts and correspondence from his
      great-grandfather, Eugene (Jen�) Kozlay. He was an officer in the 1848-49
      war and fled Hungary at the end of 1849, bringing with him his "big book," a
      mixture of diary entries, essays, poetry, and memoirs dating as early as
      1837. They include a detailed chronicle of a trip to visit relatives in
      Tur�cz, now Turiec in northern Slovakia. The diary continues through his
      first few years in America, until he began writing in English, and the
      manuscripts include correspondence to and from a number of notable fellow
      �migr�s and other historically significant figures of the time. We have had
      it all translated (which took over two years), and then made preservation
      photocopies of everything. At that point we needed to find a place to
      conserve and preserve the manuscripts, because some of them were
      deteriorating badly after 150 years. The choice of the Pet�fi Literary
      Museum in Budapest was an excellent one, and the manuscripts are now
      available to historians and other researchers. It was especially appropriate
      because he had attended school with the famous Hungarian poet Pet�fi when
      they were teenagers. We do not feel we have lost anything, because the
      translations are more meaningful to us than the original Hungarian (and
      German, and a single poem in Slovak), and we can always look at the copies.

      We did not fully realize until our recent trip how valuable the "old
      country" views historical material that may be floating out there. One does
      not need to have been famous, or even have been a skilled writer, to have
      left written material that would be treasured by his homeland. If any of you
      have written material (and it need not be 150 years old), please consider
      donating it back to the writer's homeland. There are many small museums in
      villages throughout Slovakia and Hungary that would greatly treasure having
      even a letter to display.

      Janet

      _____