Re: social security application

  • cathskap
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2006
      It seems to vary. 3 weeks to 3 months. Occasionally they actually do
      some research and send you an explanation. 2 or 3 years ago I ordered
      one from SSDI for a great-aunt of my husband, and it turned out she
      never applied for a SS number for herself, but went to get widow's
      benefits using her humband's number. I got a nice letter from Social
      Security explaining how they'd straightened it out. And last year I
      ordered a copy of my own son's [He had died the previous year]. At
      first they wouldn't send it at all, but when I wrote again they sent a
      letter explaining they protected the information of living people, so
      they sent one with my and my husband's name blotted out as parents.
      Because we were still alive. You'd think they'd see the irony.

      Catherine