Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] John Daniels / Joseph Rindos?

  • helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2000

      <<Daniels isn't a common name in Slovakia, perhaps it was spelled
      differently>>

      Have heard of surname Danihels, one heads the Detva Folk Festival.

      helene
    • Hrtswhspr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2000
        Perhaps it was spelled differently in Slovack. However...... from a different
        list I recieved the following message.....
        " In the Slovak Pride Book a name DANIEL is registered from Malacky in
        the Bratislava county of the Slovak Republic."
        Becoming the family historian has taught me to keep an open mind on ALL
        subjects. Agian......... any and all help is appreciated.
      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2000
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Hrtswhspr@a... wrote:
          > Perhaps it was spelled differently in Slovack. However...... from a
          different
          > list I recieved the following message.....
          > " In the Slovak Pride Book a name DANIEL is registered from
          Malacky in
          > the Bratislava county of the Slovak Republic."
          > Becoming the family historian has taught me to keep an open
          mind on ALL
          > subjects. Agian......... any and all help is appreciated.

          ahoj !

          The surnames Daniel, Danihel, and Danielis have appeared
          in the Slovakia census somwhere ?

          The Slovakia telephone directory lists :

          Ján Daniel Detva
          6 surname Daniel Banská Bystrica (next to Detva)

          82 surname Daniel Bratislava
          9 surname Daniel Zvolen

          3 surname Danielis Banská Bystrica

          1 surname Danihel Bánovce nad Bebravou
          48 surname Danihel Bratislava
          4 surname Danihel Zvolen

          Probably under other places as well.

          There are probably 40000-45000 Daniel surname bearers
          living just in the U.S.
        • Fred Corbett
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2000
            There are "Danihel" families living in Ford City, PA and there Danihels in
            Malacky, Bratislava County in western Slovakia.

            Fred Corbett

          • sabinov@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 5 , May 7, 2000
              Hi Merry

              You need to get ahold of those naturalization papers, you can use the
              guidelines on my Hints page on how to do that easily by emailing the
              NARA branch that covers PA (Philly I think). That should give you some
              information to go on. You also need to check the rest of the censuses
              backwards, PA is soundexed for 1910, also check 1900 and keep going back
              until you don't find them.

              From there you can check local church records, and possibly ship
              arrivals. Land records and wills may also give you some help in finding
              a location in the old country.

              Good luck to you