RE: [S-R] Mahan

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2006
      The period of residency for naturalization has remained five years since
      1795 except for the brief period of the Alien and Sedition Acts, 1798-1802,
      when it was increased to 13 years. The addition of the requirement of filing
      a Declaration of Intent was also introduced in 1795. The only exceptions to
      the five-year rule were those which applied to men in the armed forces
      during wartime.

      In my experience you cannot necessarily trust census records to determine if
      a person had been naturalized or not.

      Janet

      _____