Earliest PLICHTA Found and Lost

  • frank.r.plichta@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2006
      The earliest Plichta I have found in the U.S.A. is a Stephen Plichta,
      occupation Shoemaker, who arrived in the US via Castle Garden, New York on
      24 October 1881. His place of origin was Prussia and he departed the port
      of Antwerp aboard the Ship Nederland. He was 25 years of age at the time so
      his birth year would have been 1856. It appears that he traveled by
      himself.

      I have not been able to find Stephen in any of the census, 1900, 1910 or
      1920. Unfortunately, the 1890 census has been mostly destroyed by fire in
      1921. I have heard that there are parts of the 1890 census that are
      available in some parts of the US.

      In the 1900 census there are only 6 Plichta families consisting of 33
      individuals found. One in Springwells, Wayne Co., Michigan (7 family
      members plus 4 step-children); two in Milwaukee, Milwaukee CO. Wisconsin
      (these 3 families are related and consist of a total of 14 individuals); one
      in Manhattan, New York (4 family members) and one in Patterson, Putnam Co.,
      New York (4 family members). Of the 33 individuals only 14 were foreign
      born: Hungary=2, Bohemia=2, Germany=2 and Poland(Germany)=7. There are no
      Stephens among the bunch.

      By the 1910 census there are only 25 households with 72 Plichta individuals
      found. The 1920 census lists 285 households. Still no Stephens. And you
      can see that the universe of PLICHTAs is relatively small.

      QUESTION 1: Does anyone have access to parts of the 1890 census that might
      yield a Stephen Plichta?

      QUESTION 2: If anyone finds a PLICHTA who arrived in the US before 24
      October 1881, I would be most interested in hearing about him or her.

      Thank you for your assistance.

      Frank R. Plichta

      Galax, Virginia

      "Searching the World for PLICHTAs."