Ohio Rak/Rock

  • Marilyn Hertenstein
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2006
      Jeanann,

      According to his draft registration dated Sept. 12, 1918, Andrew Rock lived
      at 552 High Street in Youngstown. This is an old area of the south side of
      Youngstown, and 552 High is across the street from the Oak Hill Cemetery, an
      old, beautiful, well kept cemetery. There is also a large hospital in the
      High Street area, perhaps your aunt was born at South Side Hospital. It is
      fairly close to downtown Youngstown and a few steel mills. Perhaps your
      grandfather left Detroit to seek employment at the steel mill. The draft
      card said he worked at an Iron Company on Wilson Avenue in Youngstown The
      writing is not that legible, but it appears to me that he worked as a
      laborer at the Willkoff Company on Wilson Avenue in Youngstown, Ohio .

      You will note that he signed his card with "+" or his mark and someone else
      signed his actual name. He was 37 at the time and was born in July 1881 in
      Hungary. This alone does not truly mean Hungary, and you will have to check
      the location as it may be in the area that changed hands, depending on who
      claimed that land in the war, and it may be Hungary, Poland, Ukraine or
      Slovakia now. I'm not good at the history and perhaps someone else might be
      able to clear that up for you.

      According to the 1915 Youngstown City Directory, a J Lochner lived at 552
      High Street. I saw no Rock or Rak living on the street.

      Marilyn