Welcome to all new members

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 1999
      We have had quite a few new people subscribe to the list, we now number 39 members. If you haven't done so already, please take a moment and send in the surnames, locations and time ranges you are searching.

      Don't forget to tell others about this list also, as the more members we have, the more assistance we will all have, and maybe even some connections will be made.

      I look forward to hearing from all of you. Remember, posts go to SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com

      Maura
      SLOVAK-ROOTS listowner
    • Steve Botnovcan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 1999
        My mother Mildred (VICIAN) BOTNOVCAN b1911 Chicago, Ill.
        Daughter of John VICIAN b Aug 19, 1882 in Breszova pod Bradlom,
        Slovakia and
        Mary BRINSKA b Sept 7, 1887 in Jablonka, Slovakia
        John left Slovakia in 1902 and immigrated to Chicago. Mary's older
        brother Andy BRINSKA came to Chicago from Jablonka, Slovakia in the late
        1890's. Once settled, he arranged for Mary to join him. She joined him
        in 1903. John met and married Mary in 1904 in the Slovak community on
        the South side of Chicago, around 18th and Cornell. In 1910 they lived
        at 1110 Front Street. They had three boarders in their apartment:
        Stephen Jancjyk (31 yrs old), Anthony Bujy (34 yrs old), and Mateusz
        Garoura (43 yrs old). Anthony and Mateusz were married, but their wives
        were still in the "old country". On February 6, 1917 he was naturalized
        at age of 34. At that time they had 6 children: John, Martin, Steve,
        Mildred(Milca), William, and Louis. By then they had moved to the
        "Tolleston" section of Gary, Indiana. Subsequently they had 2 more
        children: Samuel and Julia. He died Aug 18, 1936. She died Sept 1,
        1953.

        John was the son of:
        Martin VICIAN (WICIJAN) b abt 1858 in Breszova pod Bradlom and
        Julia (GAVORA) VICIAN b abt 1858 in Breszova pod Bradlom
        One of my uncles believes Julia's maiden name is spelled GAVURA. Martin
        died of a ruptured appendix. Julia lived 70 years in Breszova,
        Slovakia. They had 4 children: Julia, Betty, Martin, and John. I have
        no dates except John's. Julia remained in Europe all her life. Betty
        died at the age of 10. Martin died in his late teens, while serving in
        the Austrian-Hungarian army.

        Mary was the daughter of:
        ?? BRINSKA and
        (I believe) ?? JANCI (My mother had "cousins" named JANCI)
        I only know she had an older brother Andy who brought her to the US.

        I have not yet made contact in Breszovz pod Bradlom and I do not know if
        there are church or official records available. I believe Martin and
        John were Lutheran.

        Thanks,
        Steve Botnovcan
        1 Round Hill Court
        Flemington, NJ 08822
        (908)788-0663
      • John Matsko
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 1999
          At 08:28 PM 6/23/99 +0000, you wrote: >From: sabinov@... > >We have had
          quite a few new people subscribe to the list, we now number 39 >members. If you
          haven't done so already, please take a moment and send in >the surnames,
          locations and time ranges you are searching.

          Hello Maura,

          I'm researching the following:

          Surname Location
          MACZKO, MACKO, MATSKO - VYSNA POLIANKA, (SARIS)
          NIKLOVA [MIKULASOVA]
          (SARIS)
          TKAC - (same as above)
          VANCSIK, VANCIK, WANCIK - KRIZE (SARIS), OH
          DORIN - GERLACHOV (SARIS), PA,
          OH
          SEVCSIK, SEFCHICK - (same as above) + LIVOV
          KOVALIC - CIRC (SARIS), NY, PA, OH
          KVASNAK - (same as above)
          HAJDUK - KOSICE BELA , OH
          STARINSKY - PLAVNICA , Brooklyn NY, OH

          In terms of time ranges, post 1895 on most.

          John

          href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/amazon1 ">Click Here</a> >