Faded pencil writing on photos etc.

  • David Holoshka (LD/EAB)
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18 12:19 AM
      Hi,

      I did some work with the enhancement of digital pictures many years ago
      in school. It is sometimes possible to photograph a text with a digital
      camera/scanner then manipulate the result to make faint writing legible.
      When you digitize the image make sure the part that you are trying to
      read ends up with a medium brightness ie not mostly white or black. The
      things to try on a computer with image enhancement software would be
      "edge enhancement" and "contrast stretching". The human eye cannot see
      small changes in contrast that may exist in the photo and that a
      camera/scanned can record. A computer can be used to exagerate contrast
      making them visible.

      I have not checked the current enhancement software on the market but
      this stuff is pretty standard and should be available free or cheap.
      There is program called: "gimp" for windows that does this stuff and it
      is free. Experimenting with the image i.e. trying different filters and
      combinations of filters usually is the way to go.

      <http://www.gimp.org/windows/>

      /Dave