[S-R] Re: SZOLYVA/Svalyava

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 14, 2006
      Daniel,

      I have not followed this thread closely from the beginning, so I may
      be repeating what has already been said. It may be due to the good
      coffee I brewed this morning that I looked at "SZOLYVA" and
      said "Soltys" and carries further into the more
      Germanic "Shultheiss".

      Guessing from the name, I would not be surprised if you investigate
      the history of the village and find that some duke or lord
      commisioned the village be established under the leadership of one
      man - the Soltys, who represented the lord and directed the
      developnment of the village along the lines the lord established
      when he sent the colonists out to establish it. Eventually the
      positions developed from founder into a village leader, or perhaps
      mayor. This is a broad-brush picture and the specifics often vary
      from village to village, but the Soltys system was a common method
      for establishing new settlements.

      Ron

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      > > Behalf Of jump4toys@...
      > > Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 6:48 AM
      > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: SZOLYVA/Svalyava
      > >

      > > Hi...
      > > Does this mean that the name changed to become one of the
      following names? > > Do you know what the name is now?
      > > DAniel
      > >

      > > > The RadixIndex lists the following names from Kisszolyva:
      Kazmer,
      > > Lipniker,
      > > > Lukacsy, Mogyorossi, Novak, Rapak, Rubi, Szup.
      > > >

      > > > Janet
      > > >
      > > > _____
      > > >
      > > > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-
      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com]
      > > On
      > > > Behalf Of jump4toys@...
      > > > Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:46 PM
      > > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > > > Subject: [S-R] Re: SZOLYVA/Svalyava
      > > >

      > > > Question if someone can answer it.
      > > >
      > > > In the Carpathian area where the village of Szolyva is located
      (northeast
      > > > of > > > Munkacs), I've been looking at the map of Bereg from
      1910.
      > > > I can see that northeast of the town of Szolyva if you follow
      the road, > > > near > > > Verecke, is a little village with the
      name K SZOLYVA. Now I know that > > > means "little Szolyva".
      But what I'm curious about is what this town is > > > now > > >
      called or what it was called after this wasn't Hungary anymore and
      became

      > > > Czechoslovakia.
      > > > Would someone help shed some light on this?
      > > >
      > > > It's interesting to me because most of my family comes from
      Szolyva, and > > > now > > > I"m wondering if there were any Jews
      living in K SZOLYVA?