RE: [S-R] Interpreting handwriting -- 1869 Hungarian Census

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 12, 2006
      I have never seen any of the census written in Slovak. Magyar was the
      language mandated.
      Try the FHL Hungarian Language guide
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 14, 2006
        I have found that the 1896 census often has a mix of Hungarian and German
        Column 7 should have the relationship

        neje is Hungarian for "wife"
        lanya is daughter

        Column 8 is supposed to be age

        Dr. "Q"

        Marilyn Sandorf wrote:

        >To the experts out there...
        >
        > I just found one of my GGF's in the 1869 Hungarian Census and cannot read/interpret all that is written in the columns.
        >
        > I have read and think I understand the headers and commonly used Hungarian words from the 'iabsi' web site. However, I am wondering if some of the handwriting might be in Slovak?
        >
        > Some of the words (as I interpret the handwriting) are:
        >
        > Col. 7 (after religion) -- 'lndiy' (?) or maybe 'lndry' (?)
        > Col. 8 Lirylufnno (?) or maybe 'Tirylufnno'
        >
        > Also, over the names is written two words, but, for example, over the wife's name the word is not 'neje', but I cannot make out the letters.
        >
        > Is there another source of key words used in the 1869 Hungarian Census?
        >
        > thank you,
        > Marilyn Sandorf

      • ajdolli
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 15, 2006
          <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

          > I have never seen any of the census written in Slovak. Magyar was the
          > language mandated.

          Sorry to disagree, Bill, but the Brezova pod Bradlom census was
          written in Slovak. A partial transcription is here:
          http://tinyurl.com/rco5o

          Anabeth
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 15, 2006
            Anabeth,
            I do not disagree.
            My statement is not in conflict with your statement.
            1. I never saw it.
            2. It was mandated.

            Of course, every rule has its exceptions.

            Bill

            > I have never seen any of the census written in Slovak. Magyar was the
            > language mandated.

            Sorry to disagree, Bill, but the Brezova pod Bradlom census was
            written in Slovak. A partial transcription is here:
            http://tinyurl.com/rco5o

            Anabeth

            Yahoo! Groups Links