Re: Dzuricza, Lesko, Skapura, Hnilcik, Jakubany, PA, OH,,>

  • Joan Broge
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2006
      "cathskap" <cathskap@...>

      Your subject line mentions Lesko. There were Leskos living in Whitney, Pennsylvania, (Unity Township, Westmoreland County) during my childhood days in this coal patch. I don't know if they are still there.

      Joan
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13, 2006
        LESKO is a hugely common surname, with many unrelated lines. Tread
        carefully lest you end up on many wild good chases.
        Bill

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2006
          Yes, I know it's common. But I've got to start somewhere.

          I have the baptism of my husband's grandmother:
          Baptism Record LDS film #1739198
          Mathildis, born March 14, baptized March 17, 1878, female , legitimate
          parents: Josephus Lesko and Catharina Krajis, R. C., living at Kis
          Hnilecz # 14
          godparents: Andras Kovacz- ?Aster?, and Victoria Majkuth, R. C.

          So now I'm looking for information about Josephus Lesko and Catharina
          Krajis. And any of their relatives.

          <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

          > LESKO is a hugely common surname, with many unrelated lines. Tread
          > carefully lest you end up on many wild good chases.
          > Bill

          OH,,>

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13, 2006
            Not knowing your research strategy, it's unclear to me if you have
            identified you Lesko's village of origin. I know you are examining a
            specific village. Have you ascertained this is the correct village of
            origin?
            If not, IMHO I would be starting at identifying the village rather than what
            we used to call "roll calls" for surnames.

            Bill

            <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

            > LESKO is a hugely common surname, with many unrelated lines. Tread
            > carefully lest you end up on many wild good chases.
            > Bill

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • cathskap
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 13, 2006
              Since they were living at Kis-Hnilecz #14, isn't it reasonable to
              start looking in Hnilcik, Bindt, etc?