Re: [S-R] Re: SZOLYVA/Svalyava

  • jump4toys@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2006
      Hi...
      Does this mean that the name changed to become one of the following names?
      Do you know what the name is now?
      DAniel

      > The RadixIndex lists the following names from Kisszolyva: Kazmer, Lipniker,
      > Lukacsy, Mogyorossi, Novak, Rapak, Rubi, Szup.
      >

      > Janet
      >

      > _____

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2006
        Dear Daniel,

        You misunderstood. The present name of kisszolyva is
        Skotarskoye/Skotarske/Szkotarczka/Skotarszkoje (and other variations) in
        Ukraine. The names I gave you are surnames of families that were found in
        that village according to the RadixIndex
        (http://www.radixindex.com/placeindex/kisszolyva.shtml).

        Janet

        _____

        Does this mean that the name changed to become one of the following names?
        Do you know what the name is now?
        DAniel

        > The RadixIndex lists the following names from Kisszolyva: Kazmer,
        Lipniker,
        > Lukacsy, Mogyorossi, Novak, Rapak, Rubi, Szup.
        >

        > Janet
        >

        > _____

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "SLOVAK-ROOTS
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> " on the web.

        _____

      • jump4toys@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 14, 2006
          Thanks for the great information....it's very helpful.

          What is RADIX INDEX?
          How do I access it?

          DAniel

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 14, 2006
            Use the URL I gave you in my message. Even though "kisszolyva" is in the
            URL, I found that you have to put it in again in the box for Place Name
            Search.

            Janet

            _____

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "SLOVAK-ROOTS
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> " on the web.

            _____

          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 14, 2006
              Daniel,

              I have not followed this thread closely from the beginning, so I may
              be repeating what has already been said. It may be due to the good
              coffee I brewed this morning that I looked at "SZOLYVA" and
              said "Soltys" and carries further into the more
              Germanic "Shultheiss".

              Guessing from the name, I would not be surprised if you investigate
              the history of the village and find that some duke or lord
              commisioned the village be established under the leadership of one
              man - the Soltys, who represented the lord and directed the
              developnment of the village along the lines the lord established
              when he sent the colonists out to establish it. Eventually the
              positions developed from founder into a village leader, or perhaps
              mayor. This is a broad-brush picture and the specifics often vary
              from village to village, but the Soltys system was a common method
              for establishing new settlements.

              Ron