RE: [S-R] Re: SZOLYVA/Svalyava

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11, 2006
      The RadixIndex lists the following names from Kisszolyva: Kazmer, Lipniker,
      Lukacsy, Mogyorossi, Novak, Rapak, Rubi, Szup.

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2006
        Hi...
        Does this mean that the name changed to become one of the following names?
        Do you know what the name is now?
        DAniel

        > The RadixIndex lists the following names from Kisszolyva: Kazmer, Lipniker,
        > Lukacsy, Mogyorossi, Novak, Rapak, Rubi, Szup.
        >

        > Janet
        >

        > _____

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 12, 2006
          Dear Daniel,

          You misunderstood. The present name of kisszolyva is
          Skotarskoye/Skotarske/Szkotarczka/Skotarszkoje (and other variations) in
          Ukraine. The names I gave you are surnames of families that were found in
          that village according to the RadixIndex
          (http://www.radixindex.com/placeindex/kisszolyva.shtml).

          Janet

          _____

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 14, 2006
            Thanks for the great information....it's very helpful.

            What is RADIX INDEX?
            How do I access it?

            DAniel

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 14, 2006
              Use the URL I gave you in my message. Even though "kisszolyva" is in the
              URL, I found that you have to put it in again in the box for Place Name
              Search.

              Janet

              _____

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "SLOVAK-ROOTS
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> " on the web.

              _____

            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 14, 2006
                Daniel,

                I have not followed this thread closely from the beginning, so I may
                be repeating what has already been said. It may be due to the good
                coffee I brewed this morning that I looked at "SZOLYVA" and
                said "Soltys" and carries further into the more
                Germanic "Shultheiss".

                Guessing from the name, I would not be surprised if you investigate
                the history of the village and find that some duke or lord
                commisioned the village be established under the leadership of one
                man - the Soltys, who represented the lord and directed the
                developnment of the village along the lines the lord established
                when he sent the colonists out to establish it. Eventually the
                positions developed from founder into a village leader, or perhaps
                mayor. This is a broad-brush picture and the specifics often vary
                from village to village, but the Soltys system was a common method
                for establishing new settlements.

                Ron