Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Slovak Pride Database

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Rosamken@a... wrote:

      > On the surname of my grannie...it listed Cerny (which is the
      surname
      I am
      > looking for) then it says Bor. Mikulas BRATIS. Would you be so
      kind
      and
      > explain, if possible what I am reading.
      >
      > I was told that my grannie came from Czechoslovakia, and a first
      cousin now
      > adds Bohemia. Still a mystery.

      Expect Bor. Mikulas BRATIS. = Borsky' Mikulás^ , which is
      located near S^as^tín and 35 miles NE of Bratislava. This is
      about 15 miles from the current Czech Republic border.

      Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier as
      a part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.

      Czech-Bohemia was an Austrian Crownland and also part of the
      Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and from earlier (10th c)
      a kingdom.

      After peace treaty (1920), a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia
      was created from Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and
      Austrian-Silesia) and a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and
      Karpatho-Ukraine).

      (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

      Cierny means "black" in Slovak.
      C^erny' appears as a surname in Slovakia.
      Four surname C^erny' are listed under Borsky' Mikulás^, Slovakia.

      However in Czech-Bohemia, Cerny' (meaning a dark hair man, a dark
      skin man) is the 5th most common surname. About 5 % of the Czech
      population bear this surname.

      Frank Kurcina
    • helenezx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2000

        <<it listed Cerny (which is the surname I am

        looking for) then it says Bor. Mikulas BRATIS.>>

        Hi Rosemary

        In regard to the Slovak Pride listing - it means that a lister told of a
        Cerny ancestor who lived in Bor. Mikulas in old B ratislava County - if you
        would like to get in touch - contact me directly. It's a common name.

        Did you family say they were Slovak ?? or Czech?

        helene