Dzuricza (Duritza) - Uniontown, PA

  • Marilyn Sandorf
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 11, 2006
      Hello, I grew up with a family named Duritza in SW PA (Uniontown/Fayette County). It's one of those names you never hear, so when I saw your posting I thought I would at least offer this information. That's about all I can tell you about the name.

      marilyn sandorf

      SANDORFY, RONDZIK, MACEJOVSKY (MATEOSKY), PLACKO

      cathskap <cathskap@...> wrote:
      Thanks. My husband's ancestors went to Pennsylvania from
      Czechoslovakia in the early 1900s. Some later moved to Ohio.

      Sorry, but I don't know anything about the Dzuricza family. Right
      now I don't know many of the the connections to the people I've
      posted. I'm simply abstracting entire surnames which contained some
      of my husbands' ancestors, and hope to map his families to them.

      I see that Stephanus and Helena also had a daughter Agnes in 1863,
      living at Bindt #85. Bindt and Hnilcik are near Spisska Nova Ves.

      In 2003 my husband and I visited Jakubany and Hnilcik and have posted
      photos at http://homepage.mac.com/rskapura1/jakubany/index.html
      and at http://homepage.mac.com/rskapura1/hnilcik/index.html

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Hertenstein"
      <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

      > Catherine,
      > Nice job on all the names you posted. I went to look out of
      curiosity.
      > Where is Hnilcik? I was amazed at the number of surnames I
      recognized. I
      > grew up in Struthers, Ohio, which is near Youngstown and the
      > Ohio-Pennsylvania border. We had so many families with all of
      those names
      > living in Struthers. The Steel Mill was the big draw. In my own
      personal
      > research, I found a lot of the same names you listed, but I was
      researching
      > in Teplicska, Csepanfalu, Marcu Shovec (all near Spissa Nova Ves)
      area.

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      > Behalf Of cathskap
      > Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 1:55 PM
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [S-R] Lesko/Lessko surname
      >

      > Anyone researching Lesko?
      >
      > I am now abstracting all information for the Lesko/Lessko surname
      from
      > LDS film 1739198, which is the area around Hnilcik, and posting it
      at
      > http://www.geocities.com/cathskap/Geletko_Puskar_Ancestry/index.html
      >
      > So far I've got the page up for Lesko/Lessko Deaths 1810-1843, 1852-
      > 1859.
      >
      > Catherine

      email to

      > _____
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > * Visit your group "SLOVAK-ROOTS
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> " on the web.

      subject=Unsubscribe>

      Service
      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      >

      > _____

      ---------------------------------

    • Marilyn Hertenstein
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 11, 2006
        Ah, Uniontown. Been to the Labor Day Pilgrimage there many many times.
        Thanks for the lead.

        Marilyn

        _____

        ---------------------------------

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 12, 2006
          To the experts out there...

          I just found one of my GGF's in the 1869 Hungarian Census and cannot read/interpret all that is written in the columns.

          I have read and think I understand the headers and commonly used Hungarian words from the 'iabsi' web site. However, I am wondering if some of the handwriting might be in Slovak?

          Some of the words (as I interpret the handwriting) are:

          Col. 7 (after religion) -- 'lndiy' (?) or maybe 'lndry' (?)
          Col. 8 Lirylufnno (?) or maybe 'Tirylufnno'

          Also, over the names is written two words, but, for example, over the wife's name the word is not 'neje', but I cannot make out the letters.

          Is there another source of key words used in the 1869 Hungarian Census?

          thank you,
          Marilyn Sandorf

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 12, 2006
            I have never seen any of the census written in Slovak. Magyar was the
            language mandated.
            Try the FHL Hungarian Language guide
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm

            I just found one of my GGF's in the 1869 Hungarian Census and cannot
            read/interpret all that is written in the columns.

            I have read and think I understand the headers and commonly used Hungarian
            words from the 'iabsi' web site. However, I am wondering if some of the
            handwriting might be in Slovak?

            Some of the words (as I interpret the handwriting) are:

            Col. 7 (after religion) -- 'lndiy' (?) or maybe 'lndry' (?)
            Col. 8 Lirylufnno (?) or maybe 'Tirylufnno'

            Also, over the names is written two words, but, for example, over the
            wife's name the word is not 'neje', but I cannot make out the letters.

            Is there another source of key words used in the 1869 Hungarian Census?

            thank you,
            Marilyn Sandorf

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Dr. Joe Q.
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 14, 2006
              I have found that the 1896 census often has a mix of Hungarian and German
              Column 7 should have the relationship

              neje is Hungarian for "wife"
              lanya is daughter

              Column 8 is supposed to be age

              Dr. "Q"

              Marilyn Sandorf wrote:

              >To the experts out there...
              >
              > I just found one of my GGF's in the 1869 Hungarian Census and cannot read/interpret all that is written in the columns.
              >
              > I have read and think I understand the headers and commonly used Hungarian words from the 'iabsi' web site. However, I am wondering if some of the handwriting might be in Slovak?
              >
              > Some of the words (as I interpret the handwriting) are:
              >
              > Col. 7 (after religion) -- 'lndiy' (?) or maybe 'lndry' (?)
              > Col. 8 Lirylufnno (?) or maybe 'Tirylufnno'
              >
              > Also, over the names is written two words, but, for example, over the wife's name the word is not 'neje', but I cannot make out the letters.
              >
              > Is there another source of key words used in the 1869 Hungarian Census?
              >
              > thank you,
              > Marilyn Sandorf

            • ajdolli
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 15, 2006
                <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                > I have never seen any of the census written in Slovak. Magyar was the
                > language mandated.

                Sorry to disagree, Bill, but the Brezova pod Bradlom census was
                written in Slovak. A partial transcription is here:
                http://tinyurl.com/rco5o

                Anabeth
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 15, 2006
                  Anabeth,
                  I do not disagree.
                  My statement is not in conflict with your statement.
                  1. I never saw it.
                  2. It was mandated.

                  Of course, every rule has its exceptions.

                  Bill