RE: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Slovak Pride Database

  • Gregory J. Kopchak
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2000
      I would ask Helene exactly what the abbreviation means. She would know best.

      It was a kind of fuzzy border between Bohemia, Moravia, Silesia, and
      Slovakia over the years and at times they were one country. If your
      grandmother was from western Slovakia, she was very close to the borders
      mentioned.

      Greg Kopchak

      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Rosamken@a... wrote:

        > On the surname of my grannie...it listed Cerny (which is the
        surname
        I am
        > looking for) then it says Bor. Mikulas BRATIS. Would you be so
        kind
        and
        > explain, if possible what I am reading.
        >
        > I was told that my grannie came from Czechoslovakia, and a first
        cousin now
        > adds Bohemia. Still a mystery.

        Expect Bor. Mikulas BRATIS. = Borsky' Mikulás^ , which is
        located near S^as^tín and 35 miles NE of Bratislava. This is
        about 15 miles from the current Czech Republic border.

        Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier as
        a part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.

        Czech-Bohemia was an Austrian Crownland and also part of the
        Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and from earlier (10th c)
        a kingdom.

        After peace treaty (1920), a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia
        was created from Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and
        Austrian-Silesia) and a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and
        Karpatho-Ukraine).

        (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

        Cierny means "black" in Slovak.
        C^erny' appears as a surname in Slovakia.
        Four surname C^erny' are listed under Borsky' Mikulás^, Slovakia.

        However in Czech-Bohemia, Cerny' (meaning a dark hair man, a dark
        skin man) is the 5th most common surname. About 5 % of the Czech
        population bear this surname.

        Frank Kurcina
      • helenezx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2000

          <<it listed Cerny (which is the surname I am

          looking for) then it says Bor. Mikulas BRATIS.>>

          Hi Rosemary

          In regard to the Slovak Pride listing - it means that a lister told of a
          Cerny ancestor who lived in Bor. Mikulas in old B ratislava County - if you
          would like to get in touch - contact me directly. It's a common name.

          Did you family say they were Slovak ?? or Czech?

          helene