New to group

  • magnumaid
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 7, 2006
      Hello,

      I'm a new member and taking a moment to say hello to the group.

      The family names I'm researching are, RIDILLA from Saris County,
      LAMPART from Jakubany/Nova Lubovna area, and BUCHSTABIRER from
      Kaposztafalu (Hrabusice). Also SKAPURA (though I doubt that is the
      original form of the surname) and BUDAY.

      My research is spotty at best due to the lack of time I have for it.
      Though; I see in the archived posts a wealth of information that
      should help me along my way.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 7, 2006
        >>> Jakubany/Nova Lubovna area, and BUCHSTABIRER from Kaposztafalu
        (Hrabusice) <<<

        Check out http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 7, 2006
          >>> My research is spotty at best due to the lack of time I have for
          it. <<<

          What is the major issue you face at the moment that we might help with?
        • cathskap
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 8, 2006
            Hi,

            I think "Skapura" is fairly close to an original spelling. I have a
            Skapura family Bible where they recorded births and marriages. The
            names are written using the Cyrillic alphabet (Russian), and the
            sounds would transliterate into: Shkapoora

            Catherine (wife of a Skapura whose family came from Jakubany)

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "magnumaid" <magnumaid@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I'm a new member and taking a moment to say hello to the group.
            >
            > The family names I'm researching are, RIDILLA from Saris County,
            > LAMPART from Jakubany/Nova Lubovna area, and BUCHSTABIRER from
            > Kaposztafalu (Hrabusice). Also SKAPURA (though I doubt that is the
            > original form of the surname) and BUDAY.
            >
            > My research is spotty at best due to the lack of time I have for
            it.
            > Though; I see in the archived posts a wealth of information that
            > should help me along my way.

          • ingenieurjansko
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 11, 2006
              hello magnumaid
              The name BUCHSTABIRER is an german name and means a person who spells
              a word letter by letter - it could be written also BUCHSTABIERER.
              It could be a jewisch name. Today there are living no persons with
              this name in AUSTRIA (WWW.herold.at - telefon book for AUSTRIA).
              greetings Richard

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "magnumaid" <magnumaid@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I'm a new member and taking a moment to say hello to the group.
              >
              > The family names I'm researching are, RIDILLA from Saris County,
              > LAMPART from Jakubany/Nova Lubovna area, and BUCHSTABIRER from
              > Kaposztafalu (Hrabusice). Also SKAPURA (though I doubt that is the
              > original form of the surname) and BUDAY.
              >
              > My research is spotty at best due to the lack of time I have for it.
              > Though; I see in the archived posts a wealth of information that
              > should help me along my way.

            • Tms0159
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30, 2011
                Hi,
                I joined the group a few months ago. My name is Theresa. My maiden name is prokopovich. My grandmothers maiden name is halek. My grandmother was born in Czechoslovakia. I wish everyone a happy new year.

                Sent from my Kindle Fire

              • david1law@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 30, 2011
                  Dear Theresa:

                  Welcome to the group! One critical piece of information that will help
                  you immensely in your research, as well as be able to help others help you
                  along the way, are the villages of origin for your ancestors. Do you know
                  where your grandmother was born or lived in Czechoslovakia? If not, there
                  are other resources, such as the Ellis Island database and/or other records in
                  the U.S., that may also be able to help. Please feel free and do not
                  hesitate to ask questions or ask for help in pointing you in the right
                  direction, as we have all been in your shoes at one time or another, and please
                  also feel free to share information, insights, etc. that you have learned
                  along the way. We are all here to help each other. In addition, if you are
                  have not already visited Bill Tarkulich's Slovakia & Environs Genealogical
                  Research Strategies website at _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) , I
                  highly recommend it as his database and links have been an immense help to me
                  and have been a great springboard for my research.

                  I also wish you and everyone else in our forum a Happy, Healthy,
                  Prosperous, and Great New Year!

                  Best regards,

                  David

                  In a message dated 12/30/2011 10:31:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  tms0159@... writes:

                  Hi,
                  I joined the group a few months ago. My name is Theresa. My maiden name is
                  prokopovich. My grandmothers maiden name is halek. My grandmother was born
                  in Czechoslovakia. I wish everyone a happy new year.

                  Sent from my Kindle Fire

                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 30, 2011
                    Theresa,
                    Do you have a specific question?
                    Having your grandmother born in Czechoslovakia is cause to join this group. But gives no clue to where she was from. Do you have that information.
                    As for the surname Halek, this is what the 1995 Slovak Census had. As you see there are three spellings of the name. There were a total of 32 listings in 11 locations. Which makes Halek a rare name. Notice there are two sets of locations for the surname. In eastern Slovakia in the “okr.”/ districts of Bardejov and Svidnik. They are next door to each other. In western Slovakia you have the orkes of Zilina, Prievidza and Bratislava.

                    Priezvisko HALÉK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 1×, celkový počet lokalít: 1, v lokalitách:
                    KALNIŠTE, okr. BARDEJOV (od r. 1996 SVIDNÍK) – 1×;

                    Priezvisko HÁLEK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 11×, celkový počet lokalít: 5, v lokalitách:
                    BITAROVÁ, okr. ŽILINA – 6×;
                    DOLNÝ HRIČOV, okr. ŽILINA – 2×;
                    NEDOŽERY (obec NEDOŽERY-BREZANY), okr. PRIEVIDZA – 1×;
                    NITRIANSKE PRAVNO, okr. PRIEVIDZA – 1×;
                    NOVÉ MESTO (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;

                    Priezvisko HALEK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 20×, celkový počet lokalít: 5, v lokalitách:
                    LASCOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 9×;
                    KALNIŠTE, okr. BARDEJOV (od r. 1996 SVIDNÍK) – 6×;
                    GIRALTOVCE, okr. BARDEJOV (od r. 1996 SVIDNÍK) – 3×;
                    BITAROVÁ, okr. ŽILINA – 1×;
                    NIŽNÉ RASLAVICE (obec RASLAVICE), okr. BARDEJOV – 1×;

                    Prokopovich was not in the Slovak Census, but this was. Interesting to find all of the orkes are same or neighboring your Halek orkes. Which would seem to indicate your roots could be in eastern Slovakia.
                    Priezvisko PROKOPOVIČ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 156×, celkový počet lokalít: 39, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                    BARDEJOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 37×;
                    STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 18×;
                    KĽUŠOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 10×;
                    JANOVCE, okr. BARDEJOV – 9×;
                    STAŠKOVCE, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 6×;
                    VEĽKÝ RUSKOV (obec NOVÝ RUSKOV), okr. TREBIŠOV – 6×;
                    HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ – 5×;
                    ŽILINA, okr. ŽILINA – 4×;
                    PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 4×;
                    RAJEC, okr. ŽILINA – 4×;
                    I joined the group a few months ago. My name is Theresa. My maiden name is prokopovich. My grandmothers maiden name is halek. My grandmother was born in Czechoslovakia. I wish everyone a happy new year.

                    Sent from my Kindle Fire

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 30, 2011
                      Hi Theresa -

                      i have 4 listings for Prokopovich in the Slovak Pride data base - there are in Saris villages and one in in Uzhhorod now Ukraine. E mail me directly if you would like more info to contact the listers.

                      helene
                      helenezx@...