Re: Illustrious baptisms

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 1999
      I don't know how things were in Slovakia, but in France, for example, it was
      quite usual for a chateau to have a private chapel and personal chaplain, a
      priest (often from a religious order in the neighborhood) who was attached
      to that estate. Households were quite large and would gather for morning
      and evening prayers and daily Mass. This was also the case in England
      before the Reformation. In Protestant households, the private chapel was
      still used for family prayers, including servants and dependents, although
      it would not generally boast its own chaplain. This is one of those details
      of daily life that I would like to understand. In the Anglican Church,
      wealthy people bought their own family pews, often at great expense, which
      were reserved for their exclusive use. The lower classes sat further back
      in the free seats.

      It's an interesting subject. I have come across two or three "illustrious"
      baptisms in these Lutheran records, and will go back to look more closely
      and see if I can find a reference to a private chapel or other location.

      The real question is, what were the usual relations between the Hungarian
      aristocrats and the Slovak peasants? How rigid was the social code?

      I have also come across a very small number of illegitimate child baptisms,
      one without godparents.