Mariassy

  • cathskap
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 4 2:21 PM
      Is there currently a place-name "Mariassy" in Slovakia? Or in the past?
      Where?

      In some of the records I find people described as "Jerohuttaensis"
      or "Zavadkaensis" or "Mariassiana" I thought this meant where they
      were from.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 4 6:52 PM
        >>> Is there currently a place-name "Mariassy" in Slovakia? Or in
        the past? . . . "Jerohuttaensis" or "Zavadkaensis"
        or "Mariassiana".

        Clue #1:
        I think that the clue is Zavadka(ensis). There are five current
        instances of Zavadka in Slovakia with one of them dating back to the
        1828 list of villages.

        Clue #2:
        The village of Markusovce arose in the 12th century as a border
        guard for the Spis region of Slovakia and later became the seat of
        the noble family of >>>Mariassy<<<. The town's first mention was in
        1289, making it one of the oldest villages in the Spis region of
        Slovakia.

        The above para suggests that your Zavadka is the one southeast of
        Spisske Nova Ves and south of Markusovce.

        Jerohutta escapes me as to current name. Somehow, I think that it is
        the old name of a village near Zavadka but I can't pin it down.

        Others will be able to shed additional lighht on this question.
      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 4 7:28 PM
          johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:
          Jerohutta escapes me as to current name. Somehow, I think that it is
          the old name of a village near Zavadka but I can't pin it down.

          Hi John

          I've been told that a "huta" meant a glass works and there was one near Spisska Nova Ves long ago

          helene

          ---------------------------------

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 5 6:20 PM
            > johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:
            >>> Jerohutta escapes me as to current name. Somehow, I think that
            it is the old name of a village near Zavadka but I can't pin it down.

            >>> I've been told that a "huta" meant a glass works and there was
            one near Spisska Nova Ves long ago

            > helene

            Helene, not just a pretty face -- smart too! In Podrobny Auto Atlas,
            Novoveska Huta sits along Rte 533 where it crosses a stream south of
            Spisska Nova Ves. The 1910 Szepes map shows it as Iglohuta. 2.7 km
            further north is Predna Huta, not shown in 1910.

            I am beginning to think that Mariassy refers to the family and not a
            village name eg: Mariassy Castle.

            On EI, the emigrants came from Iglo = Spisska Nova Ves and Gorogfalu
            = Zavadka as well as Kis Hnilec = Szepespatak = Hnilcik and so we
            know that we have the area pegged. These outlying places are all
            along one twisty mountain road.
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 5 6:22 PM
              >>> Is there currently a place-name "Mariassy" in Slovakia? . . .
              as "Jerohuttaensis" <<<

              Are you able to scan and post the original references to these two
              places?
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 5 6:50 PM
                Here's a suggestion.

                For the villages we have "established", check the 1869 Hungarian
                Census and see what you can learn. These places are in a string
                along one road, as one might expect, and so the situation might be
                made clear by checking the adjacent villages.

                Kis Hnilécz (Hnilcík) FHL INTL Film 2162287 Item 3
                Merény (Nálepkovo) FHL INTL Film 2149901 Item 3
                (cont.) Merény (Nálepkovo) FHL INTL Film 2149902 Item 1
                Zavadka (Závadka) FHL INTL Film 2151179 Item 5

                I am guessing that Mereny might be Mariassy in Latin.

                1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg

                Check the area southeast of Iglo for your villages.

                CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
                get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
                will likely find in church records.
              • Dr. Joe Q.
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 6 3:33 PM
                  Mariassy is a Hungarian name and is the name of some aristocrats that
                  lived in Spissky Hrusov (about 10 miles east of Spisska Nova Ves). The
                  last of the Spissky Hrusov Mariassys was a lady who died about 4 years
                  ago. There are a number of grave markers with the family name next to
                  the Roman Catholic St. Katherine's Church (Kostol svata Katariny) in the
                  town.

                  I will send you some jpg pictures of the markers when I find your e-mail
                  address again. Respond directly to my address and I will use that
                  address or acknowledge this message on S-R.

                  Dr. "Q"

                  johnqadam wrote:

                  >it is the old name of a village near Zavadka but I can't pin it down.

                  >one near Spisska Nova Ves long ago
                  >

                  >> helene
                  >>

                  >Helene, not just a pretty face -- smart too! In Podrobny Auto Atlas,
                  >Novoveska Huta sits along Rte 533 where it crosses a stream south of
                  >Spisska Nova Ves. The 1910 Szepes map shows it as Iglohuta. 2.7 km
                  >further north is Predna Huta, not shown in 1910.
                  >
                  >I am beginning to think that Mariassy refers to the family and not a
                  >village name eg: Mariassy Castle.
                  >
                  >On EI, the emigrants came from Iglo = Spisska Nova Ves and Gorogfalu
                  >= Zavadka as well as Kis Hnilec = Szepespatak = Hnilcik and so we
                  >know that we have the area pegged. These outlying places are all
                  >along one twisty mountain road.

                • John Venham
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 20 11:28 AM
                    Hello All,

                    Soon I'll be forced to upgrade my genealogy software.
                    Currently I'm using a 1997 version of 'Gene' which
                    requires MAC Classic (9.0).

                    I'd appreciate any and all recommendations; just one
                    caveat, I'm a Mac-user. I'll need to export my data
                    to whatever new program I choose. And is it true some
                    packages include access to on-line networks, like
                    ancestry.com or family tree maker? What else is out
                    there?

                    Thanks!

                    John V

                    "The Journey is the Reward"

                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 20 11:40 AM
                      I use family Tree . Also have GenSmart but haven't used it yet.
                      Ruth

                    • Ziegler
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 20 11:40 AM
                        I'm also a Mac user. I understand that Reunion is an excellent
                        genealogy package for the Mac. Check it out at:

                        http://www.leisterpro.com/

                        I don't know about exporting your current data. I'm still using an old
                        version of Family Tree Maker that runs under MAC Classic. It meets my
                        needs.

                        Norb

                      • MEMcDTT@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 20 1:45 PM
                          John,
                          Reunion is the way to go.

                          _http://www.leisterpro.com/_ (http://www.leisterpro.com/)

                          What Mac OS are you using?
                          It is easy to learn and easier to use.
                          Mike McDermott, San Jose, CA

                          In a message dated 4/20/2006 11:29:03 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                          jevenham@... writes:

                          Hello All,

                          Soon I'll be forced to upgrade my genealogy software.
                          Currently I'm using a 1997 version of 'Gene' which
                          requires MAC Classic (9.0).

                          I'd appreciate any and all recommendations; just one
                          caveat, I'm a Mac-user. I'll need to export my data
                          to whatever new program I choose. And is it true some
                          packages include access to on-line networks, like
                          ancestry.com or family tree maker? What else is out
                          there?

                          Thanks!

                          John V

                          "The Journey is the Reward"

                        • voony
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 21 7:54 AM
                            Hello John
                            I have been using Family Tree Maker (FTM)for along
                            time and it has served my needs well. I don't know of
                            anything that it doesn't cover, if anyone has any
                            additional info (Pro or Con) I would like to hear
                            about it. It seems to be recognized by most everyone.
                            Bob

                            --- John Venham <jevenham@...> wrote:

                            ---------------------------------
                            Hello All,

                            Soon I'll be forced to upgrade my genealogy software.
                            Currently I'm using a 1997 version of 'Gene' which
                            requires MAC Classic (9.0).

                            I'd appreciate any and all recommendations; just one
                            caveat, I'm a Mac-user. I'll need to export my data
                            to whatever new program I choose. And is it true some
                            packages include access to on-line networks, like
                            ancestry.com or family tree maker? What else is out
                            there?

                            Thanks!

                            John V

                            "The Journey is the Reward"

                            send blank email to

                            Terms of Service.

                            ---------------------------------
                          • Vladimir Bohinc
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 21 8:29 AM
                              You can get used to anything but FTM probably beats them all. I am a heavy user for 7 eyars now.
                              Vladimir

                              --- John Venham <jevenham@...> wrote:

                              ---------------------------------
                              Hello All,

                              Soon I'll be forced to upgrade my genealogy software.
                              Currently I'm using a 1997 version of 'Gene' which
                              requires MAC Classic (9.0).

                              I'd appreciate any and all recommendations; just one
                              caveat, I'm a Mac-user. I'll need to export my data
                              to whatever new program I choose. And is it true some
                              packages include access to on-line networks, like
                              ancestry.com or family tree maker? What else is out
                              there?

                              Thanks!

                              John V

                              "The Journey is the Reward"

                              send blank email to

                              Terms of Service.

                              Family vacations Genealogy family tree

                              http://www.eset.sk

                            • Sweere
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 21 8:44 AM
                                I've always used the Windows version of FTM, and I do like it, but
                                when I built my website with a dynamic sitebuilding software, I ran
                                into all sorts of problems with ID numbering conflicts and notes being
                                inserted at odd places because of unsupported event tags (non-GEDCOM),
                                so I caution you to consider what your purposes are before you begin.

                                Other users of the same sitebuilding software report no problems with
                                Legacy or Master Genealogist.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 21 10:51 AM
                                  that is all I use and I'm happy. Then again, I don't think it runs on an
                                  Apple.
                                  Bill

                                  --
                                  Bill Tarkulich
                                  http://www.iabsi.com
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 21 11:24 AM
                                    I agree with Vladimir. Family Tree Maker has served me well for many, many
                                    years.

                                    Back in the days of DOS:
                                    C: DOS
                                    C: DOS Run
                                    Run DOS Run. . .
                                    I use Brother's Keeper

                                    Then when windows came out, Brother's Keeper did not have a windows version
                                    so I switch to Family Tree Maker. Brother's Keeper does have a windows
                                    version now, but I can't comment on it.

                                    Frank R. Plichta
                                    Galax, Virginia
                                    "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

                                    ---------------------------------

                                  • Ruth825437@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 21 11:31 AM
                                      Can anyone tell me if you can put more then one family on the Family Search
                                      PAF set up.
                                      Ruth

                                    • Don Havlicek
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 21 11:32 AM
                                        I use the Windows version of Brothers Keeper on my desktop and the DOS
                                        version on my old Laptop.
                                        Both are quite good and allow import/export from one version to the other.
                                        It has all the 'bells and whistles' I will ever need.
                                        Don Havlicek

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 21 4:04 PM
                                          Of course. By one family I assume you mean other unrelated families.

                                          Bill

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 22 5:30 AM
                                            Bill
                                            after reading what I sent you. The PAF I got off the family Search I have
                                            one side of my family and wanted to put the other side on there too. Is
                                            that ok. Being new to all these I want to keep my families and my Hubbies on
                                            different one .
                                            Ruth

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 22 8:18 AM
                                              It works fine. I have two family trees that are entirely separate. You
                                              just don't link the people in one tree to the people in another. And, if as
                                              in life, there is an interrelationship, it doesn't matter because there are
                                              so many ways to print out the family tree (for example descendants of
                                              person1, ancestry of person2 that even interrelated families don't show up
                                              on some reports, depending on the direction you are going.)

                                              Bottom line, there are a gazillion options, you just learn what you need
                                              over time.
                                              Tell you what. Download FHL for free and try it. Save yourself some work
                                              by putting a dozen names in, without all the gory details, but add the
                                              relationships. Then do this for family B. Try some reports and views and
                                              see what you think. Your total investment? Maybe an hour of your time.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 22 10:22 AM
                                                Our clubs in Chicago have had seminars of Family Tree Maker vs.. Master
                                                Genealogist.
                                                There were only 2 drawbacks with FTM that I noticed in several hours of
                                                discussion. 1. Master Genealogist is harder to use for a new person but has
                                                easier links to web site building and several additional features. But, few
                                                people build a web site for themselves. 2. Master Genealogist is more
                                                expensive but allows one to build a book of on there ancestors. I'm not a
                                                writer so I would not use this feature.
                                                Simon Richard KRIZAN SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812 Searching for
                                                KRIZAN (Krizsan), Bukvay, (Holeksy?), & Kovacic, Likar & Sastensky - near
                                                Dolne Oresany, Trnava District, Slovak Republic CECH (Csech), Sloboda &
                                                Trnik (Trnovic), near Losonec, Okres Trnava, Slovak Republic

                                                Frank R. Plichta wrote:
                                                > I agree with Vladimir. Family Tree Maker has served me well for many,
                                                many
                                                > years.
                                                >
                                                > Back in the days of DOS:
                                                > C: DOS
                                                > C: DOS Run
                                                > Run DOS Run. . .
                                                > I use Brother's Keeper
                                                >
                                                > Then when windows came out, Brother's Keeper did not have a windows
                                                version
                                                > so I switch to Family Tree Maker. Brother's Keeper does have a windows
                                                > version now, but I can't comment on it.
                                                >
                                                > Frank R. Plichta
                                                > Galax, Virginia
                                                > "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

                                              • Dr. Joe Q
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 24 8:52 PM
                                                  Let's hear it for DOS!!!

                                                  You probably have 286 running at 10 mhz, a 30 mb hard
                                                  drive, and a squirrel running in a cage to power that
                                                  aaaawsommme machine??? I finally retired my compaq
                                                  386 SX, a "lap top" - - - the battery weighted about 5
                                                  pounds.

                                                  DOS forever, or at least until you can’t find any more
                                                  programs.

                                                  Dr. “Q”

                                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                • John Venham
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 25, 2006
                                                    Hello

                                                    I'm sure this has been asked often.
                                                    Does anyone know if passports were required for
                                                    Slovaks leaving to immigrate to the USA ca 1895-1910,
                                                    and where records for such would be located? Vienna,
                                                    elsewhere in
                                                    Austria, Hungary, Slovakia or perhaps Czech Rep (via
                                                    Czechoslovakia)?

                                                    Actually, Im looking for a Croat ancestor from
                                                    Croatia, but Im assuming that such matters would apply
                                                    across the entire Austro-Hungarian empire at the time,
                                                    (indeed as both Slovakia and Croatia were under
                                                    Hungarian jurisdiction)

                                                    Thank You!

                                                    John V

                                                    Researching Kukucka and Balog in Slovakia
                                                    Researching Kasik and Cerny in Czech Rep
                                                    Researching Prpic and Lukacic in Croatia

                                                    "The Journey is the Reward"

                                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 25, 2006
                                                      Various countries had various regulations, but enforcement was EXTREMELY
                                                      RARE. Most rural villagers, for example just walked away. Getting a
                                                      passport was lengthy and expensive, not affordable to the average peasant.

                                                      "Because Hungary was losing so many citizens by emigration a law was made
                                                      in 1903 regarding emigration. According to the Hungarian government at the
                                                      time, people were only to use the Port of Fiume which was then part of
                                                      Hungary as a point of egress. " Regardless of this policy, Slovak and
                                                      Czech emigrants still left in large numbers from Bremen and Hamburg,
                                                      according to official statistics.

                                                      It has been my anecdotal experience that most city dwellers left with
                                                      passports, but then again, fewer of them immigrated, as their economic
                                                      situation was siginificantly better.

                                                      I think this is a fair general characterization all over the Hungary Kingdom.

                                                      --
                                                      Bill Tarkulich
                                                      http://www.iabsi.com
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 25, 2006
                                                        so here is the law
                                                        http://www.iarelative.com/hung1903/law_1903.htm
                                                        but as described, it didn't really matter or stop anyone.....

                                                        --
                                                        Bill Tarkulich
                                                        http://www.iabsi.com
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Aug 12, 2006
                                                          Thanks, everyone, for the advice.
                                                          Im likely going with Reunion.

                                                          I am getting ready to go into an extensive on-line
                                                          genealogy project. It has been about 7-8 years. Of
                                                          course things have changed. It will mostly be an
                                                          up-dating project, and Im squeezed for time, being in
                                                          grad school and all. So I hope to avoid an entire
                                                          re-education period of what's what (I know, a real
                                                          cop-out!)

                                                          So here Im seeking advice.

                                                          8 years ago, familytreemaker was a (mostly) free
                                                          website. Somewhere I had access to a community that
                                                          did reciprocal CD-Rom lookups. And the SSDI database
                                                          was available.

                                                          I also may want to put my information in full out
                                                          there, to connect with other related researchers. Is
                                                          there a popular/accessible site to do this? Would a
                                                          membership be necessary? I have seen ancestry.com, it
                                                          looks as if it is a membership site, and that is
                                                          acquired familytreemaker.com at some point. Is it
                                                          possible to export data into such websites without
                                                          purchasing specific software? Or are there places
                                                          where 'donation' of information grants temporary
                                                          access?

                                                          Any answers (and of course) additional information
                                                          would be appreciated!

                                                          John V

                                                          --- Ziegler <zieglerwa@...> wrote:

                                                          > I'm also a Mac user. I understand that Reunion is an
                                                          > excellent
                                                          > genealogy package for the Mac. Check it out at:
                                                          >
                                                          > http://www.leisterpro.com/
                                                          >
                                                          > I don't know about exporting your current data. I'm
                                                          > still using an old
                                                          > version of Family Tree Maker that runs under MAC
                                                          > Classic. It meets my
                                                          > needs.
                                                          >
                                                          > Norb
                                                          >

                                                          > On Apr 20, 2006, at 11:28 AM, John Venham wrote:
                                                          >
                                                          > > Hello All,
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Soon I'll be forced to upgrade my genealogy
                                                          > software.
                                                          > > Currently I'm using a 1997 version of 'Gene' which
                                                          > > requires MAC Classic (9.0).
                                                          > >
                                                          > > I'd appreciate any and all recommendations; just
                                                          > one
                                                          > > caveat, I'm a Mac-user. I'll need to export my
                                                          > data
                                                          > > to whatever new program I choose. And is it true
                                                          > some
                                                          > > packages include access to on-line networks, like
                                                          > > ancestry.com or family tree maker? What else is
                                                          > out
                                                          > > there?
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Thanks!
                                                          > >
                                                          > > John V
                                                          > >

                                                          > > "The Journey is the Reward"

                                                          > -or- send blank email
                                                          > > to SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                          "The Journey is the Reward"

                                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                        • Jim
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Aug 12, 2006
                                                            John,

                                                            I would say that with all the time you're going to invest in genealogy
                                                            research it is worthwhile downloading trial versions of a number of
                                                            packages. Re-education on software packages is a very small portion of the
                                                            time you're going to be spending on genealogy. Pick what suits you and what
                                                            you want to be able to do. I don't think you can do that without personally
                                                            evaluating several packages. I used FTM at one time and tossed it out in
                                                            favor of The Master Genealogist and have absolutely no regrets.

                                                            See: http://genealogy.about.com/cs/genealogysoftware/a/software_2.htm
                                                            [covers both Windows and MAC s/w].

                                                            On your second question of connecting with other researchers. As far as I
                                                            know, the largest community of family tree files is at WorldConnect.
                                                            http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

                                                            You can upload your file there [gedcom]. I think you will be more likely to
                                                            have someone find you at WorldConnect than at the web site you plan to
                                                            build. I will make a friendly warning about on-line genealogies. There are
                                                            some very good ones and there are people out there that do very sloppy work.
                                                            I found one file that has my great-grandparents in it and I've contacted the
                                                            individual assuring him that he made a mistake and have shown him all the
                                                            documentation to prove it. He admitted he had guessed at the relationship
                                                            and acknowledged his error but hasn't [or won't] change his file.

                                                            Jim

                                                            _____

                                                            --- Ziegler <zieglerwa@sprintmai <mailto:zieglerwa%40sprintmail.com> l.com>
                                                            wrote:

                                                            > I'm also a Mac user. I understand that Reunion is an
                                                            > excellent
                                                            > genealogy package for the Mac. Check it out at:
                                                            >
                                                            > http://www.leisterp <http://www.leisterpro.com/> ro.com/
                                                            >
                                                            > I don't know about exporting your current data. I'm
                                                            > still using an old
                                                            > version of Family Tree Maker that runs under MAC
                                                            > Classic. It meets my
                                                            > needs.
                                                            >
                                                            > Norb
                                                            >

                                                            > On Apr 20, 2006, at 11:28 AM, John Venham wrote:
                                                            >
                                                            > > Hello All,
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Soon I'll be forced to upgrade my genealogy
                                                            > software.
                                                            > > Currently I'm using a 1997 version of 'Gene' which
                                                            > > requires MAC Classic (9.0).
                                                            > >
                                                            > > I'd appreciate any and all recommendations; just
                                                            > one
                                                            > > caveat, I'm a Mac-user. I'll need to export my
                                                            > data
                                                            > > to whatever new program I choose. And is it true
                                                            > some
                                                            > > packages include access to on-line networks, like
                                                            > > ancestry.com or family tree maker? What else is
                                                            > out
                                                            > > there?
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Thanks!
                                                            > >
                                                            > > John V
                                                            > >

                                                            > > "The Journey is the Reward"

                                                            ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                                                            > -or- send blank email
                                                            > > to SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                            unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                            "The Journey is the Reward"