RE: [S-R] city names (URL correction on my previous message)

  • Stu
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28 1:58 PM
      R D Gale asked for a list that gives the names of towns and cities
      in various languages for various periods of history, not "...little
      ancestral villages, but of the larger places in history."

      The Majtan book that several people seem to be promoting doesn't
      appear to answer Gale's question or maybe I am reading the question
      wrong, since I have not read the Majtan book--none of the libraries
      in my area have it or can get it.

      A list of European cities other names or former names is on the
      Internet at:

      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_European_cities_in_different_languages

      This is not an exhaustive list, and Wikipedia users are advised to
      exercise caution with regard to its content. However, I found it
      quite useful.

      Stu

      My apologies to the group. The URL in my previous email was
      truncated. I have corrected it in this post.
    • R D Gale