RE: [S-R] city names

  • Frank R. Plichta
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 27, 2006
      Bobbi,

      There is a good reference for Slovakia: Na'zy Obci' Slovenskej Republiky
      (Vy'vin v rokoch 1773-1997), Veda Vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej Akade'mie Vied.

      There is also an earlier three volume set published in 1973.

      Both are in Slovak but it does show the name changes and the years to which
      they apply. You might try E-bay or other online book vendors.

      I don't have a good reference for Poland or the Czech Republic. I would be
      interested in hearing of one if it is available.

      Frank R. Plichta
      Galax, Virginia

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 27, 2006
        So far I have not been able to find a single source that covers all the cities in Eastern Europe. In order to know what a single city was named throughout its history you have to look up a history for each individual city.
        Michael Mojher
        Hi, everyone! I have been reading history about East Central Europe along with my genealogical research. I find the names of the cities and towns so confusing....they changed with time periods, rulers, languages, etc. For example, at one time Bratislava was Pressberg, or Gdansk was Danzig. So my question for help is: does anyone know of a resource list that gives the names of towns and cities in various languages for various periods of history? I am not talking about my little ancestral villages, but of the larger places in history. This would make my life easier...if one doesn't exist, I may have to create one!

        Thanks for your help!

        Bobbi D. Gale

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 27, 2006
          This book " Nazvy obci...." is usually referred to as "Majtan", after the author Milan Majtan.
          Vladimir

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
            One place the Matjan books is for sale is at
            http://www.slovakic.com/index.php?category=BMMISC
            for $22. I have no interest in Slovak IC, I just know a good deal when I
            see one!

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
              R D Gale asked for a list that gives the names of towns and cities
              in various languages for various periods of history, not "...little
              ancestral villages, but of the larger places in history."

              The Majtan book that several people seem to be promoting doesn't
              appear to answer Gale's question or maybe I am reading the question
              wrong, since I have not read the Majtan book--none of the libraries
              in my area have it or can get it.

              A list of European cities other names or former names is on the
              Internet at:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_European_cities_in_different_la
              nguages#K

              This is not an exhaustive list, and Wikipedia users are advised to
              exercise caution with regard to its content. However, I found it
              quite useful.

              Stu
            • S. R.
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
                Could someone help me find Strysky Hradec ?
                Simon Richard KRIŽAN SRkrizan@... 1.847.398.7812 Searching for
                KUŽELA, CHVILICEK, Cingnalek, Konicek, Kovar, Prchlik, Rachunk, Sochs &
                Zemek near Vlcnov, Uherský Brod obec, Moravia, Czech Republic

                KRIŽAN (Krizsán), (Holeksy?), & Kovacic, Likar - near Dolné Orešany, Trnava
                District, Slovak Republic
                CECH (Csech), Sloboda & Trnik (Trnovic), near Lošonec, Okres Trnava, Slovak
                Republic

                [SRK] -----Original Message-----
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
                  I believe your difficulty lies in the spelling of Strysky, which should be
                  Styrsky. According to Wikipedia, Styrsky Hradec is the Czech name for the
                  Austrian town of Graz.

                  Janet

                • Alan Antoska
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
                    In Slovakia?
                    Please check the spelling.
                    I found no current listing for that name in the Podrobny
                    Atlas.

                    --- "S. R." <srkrizan@...> wrote:

                    > Could someone help me find Strysky Hradec ?
                    > Simon Richard KRIŽAN SRkrizan@...
                    > 1.847.398.7812 Searching for
                    > KUŽELA, CHVILICEK, Cingnalek, Konicek, Kovar, Prchlik,
                    > Rachunk, Sochs &
                    > Zemek near Vlcnov, Uherský Brod obec, Moravia, Czech
                    > Republic
                    >
                    > KRIŽAN (Krizsán), (Holeksy?), & Kovacic, Likar - near
                    > Dolné Orešany, Trnava
                    > District, Slovak Republic
                    > CECH (Csech), Sloboda & Trnik (Trnovic), near Lošonec,
                    > Okres Trnava, Slovak
                    > Republic
                    >

                    > [SRK] -----Original Message-----

                    On yahoo!7
                    Avatars: Dress up like your "Dancing with the Stars" favourites!
                    http://au.avatars.yahoo.com
                  • S. R.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
                      Thank you for your help. Yes, my aunt my have added a letter when
                      translating into English.
                      It is wonderful that our group can solve my problem in less than one hour.
                      Thanks again.