Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: GALOVICH from BRADISLAVA, HRANOBNICA

  • Mona
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1 5:29 AM
      Hi! Would you be familiar with the "Gyuk" name, pronounced with the "d"
      sound. I've been told it's a very old Hungarian name. Any input would
      be greatly appreciated.

      Sincerely,
      Mona
      Nepean, Ontario

      Bill & Pat Galovich wrote:

      > Hi Grace: Yes, Hull is in Quebec. I live in B.C., however, I did a quick check on
      > the LDS IGI site using just the surname Derouin and came up with a total of 43
      > listings, all in Quebec. It might be worth your while to have a look see
      > (http://www.familysearch.org/). If you are not familiar with this site, let me know
      > and I can give you some tips as to how to best utilize it.
      >
      > As far as the surname 'GALLOS', I have been advised that the Slavic (Hungarian)
      > spelling for GALOVICH is probably 'GALOVIC', with the C pronounced as "ch" and I
      > feel confident that it is not associated with Gallos.
      >
      > Best of luck in your search!
      >
      > Pat,
      > Mission, B.C.
      > ____________________________________
      >
      > grayce ezarik wrote:
      >
      > > Pat, thanks for the response, where in Canada is a good question, I learned
      > > that from a researcher that had my grandfather's brother on her lineage. It
      > > was indeed a big find for me. She has been searching for 30 years and me
      > > only one year. I do know for a fact the there was a NY Derouin family that
      > > came from Hull Canada, so far we are not related, but I spoke to many of
      > > them and they are so great. They call me a shirt-tail cousin. I traced and
      > > did a tree of their family, just to see if there was a George Washington
      > > Derouin or Joseph Baptist Derouin in among them, but some or their family is
      > > unknown, so the brick wall again. I believe that Hull is in Quebec, they
      > > settled near the lake Ontario and many are in Watertown NY. The strange
      > > part of this is that most of the cousins say their parents told them they
      > > had blue blood. Now that could be the Baldwin side of the family. This is
      > > getting long so will chat again...........thanks loads...........grayce
      > > ps Could your husbands family be Gallos?

      > Avoid the lines and visit avis.com for quick and easy online
      > reservations. Enjoy a compact car nationwide for only $29 a day!
      > Click here for more details.
    • Bill & Pat Galovich
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1 8:22 AM
        Hi Mona and List: No, I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the name 'GYUK'. But perhaps
        someone else from this list, more knowledgeable than I, will be able to help you. Best of
        luck to you.

        Pat
        _________________________________

      • helenezx@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1 4:58 PM

          <<Gyuk" nam>>

          Have 2 listings for Gyuk in Slovak Pride database - if you want to contact
          listers, let me know.

          helene
        • Mona
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2 4:18 AM
            Yes to your offer Helene! Please send me the listers of "Gyuk" in the
            Slovak Pride database.

            Thanks a Bunch!
            Mona

          • helenezx@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2 10:43 AM

              <<Yes to your offer Helene! Please send me the listers of "Gyuk" in the
              Slovak Pride database.

              Hi Mona - would you be so kind and send this request to me after May 7 - I am
              away from home and not sure I can save your request.

              helene