Re: [S-R] Citizenship

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 25, 2006
      My father came to the US as an infant with his mother and father in 1910; his father had lived in the US for over 5 years previously and gained his citizenship - so my grandmother and my father became citizens automatically. This wasn't the case later on.
      helene

      Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

      ---------------------------------

    • troskybob
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 25, 2006
        bb,

        I can't help with photos but here's a link for some webcams
        throughout Slovakia. Maybe there's one near what you're looking for.

        Bob Trosky

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Bagin <bagin15217@...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone have any photos of kamenicany or skycov?
        > My grandfather was from kamenicany and my grandmother
        > from Skycov. I wouldlike to see what thes aeas are
        > like.
        >
        > Many thanks
        >
        > bb

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • troskybob
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 25, 2006
          Whoops - here's the link:

          http://www.webcam-index.com/Europe/Slovakia/

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "troskybob" <bob@...> wrote:

          > bb,
          >
          > I can't help with photos but here's a link for some webcams
          > throughout Slovakia. Maybe there's one near what you're looking
          for.

          > Bob Trosky
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Bagin <bagin15217@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any photos of kamenicany or skycov?
          > > My grandfather was from kamenicany and my grandmother
          > > from Skycov. I wouldlike to see what thes aeas are
          > > like.
          > >
          > > Many thanks
          > >
          > > bb

          > > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • sandman6294
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 26, 2006
            > ***********
            > At 09:21 PM 3/24/2006, you wrote:
            >
            > >Does anyone know whether a wife automatically became a citizen
            here
            > >in the US when her husband did she have to go through the process
            > >for herself? I found naturalization papers for my grandfather
            > >around 1907 but none for my grandmother.
            > > Thanks for any info.

            I believe she became a citizen:

            http://home.att.net/~arnielang/ship08.html#NatReqBefore

            "Then, in 1922, women at least 21 years old became eligible for
            citizenship, regardless of their marital status. By this act, women
            could not become a citizen by virtue of her marriage to a citizen."

            I remember helping my mother study for her citizenship exams as a
            youngster in the early 40's. I learned a lot more about our
            government as a 10 year old helping her than I did in school.

            RU
          • R D Gale
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 27, 2006
              It is my understanding that, before 1920, when a male was naturalized, his wife (and foreign-born children???) automatically became citizens, too. I am sure that the wife's status followed that of the husband - I am not so sure about the children. R D Gale

              http://home.att.net/~arnielang/ship08.html#NatReqBefore<http://home.att.net/~arnielang/ship08.html#NatReqBefore>

              "Then, in 1922, women at least 21 years old became eligible for
              citizenship, regardless of their marital status. By this act, women
              could not become a citizen by virtue of her marriage to a citizen."

              I remember helping my mother study for her citizenship exams as a
              youngster in the early 40's. I learned a lot more about our
              government as a 10 year old helping her than I did in school.

              RU

              Yahoo! Groups Links