Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: GALOVICH from BRADISLAVA, HRANOBNICA

  • Bill & Pat Galovich
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2000
      Hi Grace: Yes, Hull is in Quebec. I live in B.C., however, I did a quick check on
      the LDS IGI site using just the surname Derouin and came up with a total of 43
      listings, all in Quebec. It might be worth your while to have a look see
      (http://www.familysearch.org/). If you are not familiar with this site, let me know
      and I can give you some tips as to how to best utilize it.

      As far as the surname 'GALLOS', I have been advised that the Slavic (Hungarian)
      spelling for GALOVICH is probably 'GALOVIC', with the C pronounced as "ch" and I
      feel confident that it is not associated with Gallos.

      Best of luck in your search!

      Pat,
      Mission, B.C.
      ____________________________________

      grayce ezarik wrote:

      > Pat, thanks for the response, where in Canada is a good question, I learned
      > that from a researcher that had my grandfather's brother on her lineage. It
      > was indeed a big find for me. She has been searching for 30 years and me
      > only one year. I do know for a fact the there was a NY Derouin family that
      > came from Hull Canada, so far we are not related, but I spoke to many of
      > them and they are so great. They call me a shirt-tail cousin. I traced and
      > did a tree of their family, just to see if there was a George Washington
      > Derouin or Joseph Baptist Derouin in among them, but some or their family is
      > unknown, so the brick wall again. I believe that Hull is in Quebec, they
      > settled near the lake Ontario and many are in Watertown NY. The strange
      > part of this is that most of the cousins say their parents told them they
      > had blue blood. Now that could be the Baldwin side of the family. This is
      > getting long so will chat again...........thanks loads...........grayce
      > ps Could your husbands family be Gallos?
    • Mona
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2000
        Hi! Would you be familiar with the "Gyuk" name, pronounced with the "d"
        sound. I've been told it's a very old Hungarian name. Any input would
        be greatly appreciated.

        Sincerely,
        Mona
        Nepean, Ontario

        Bill & Pat Galovich wrote:

        > Hi Grace: Yes, Hull is in Quebec. I live in B.C., however, I did a quick check on
        > the LDS IGI site using just the surname Derouin and came up with a total of 43
        > listings, all in Quebec. It might be worth your while to have a look see
        > (http://www.familysearch.org/). If you are not familiar with this site, let me know
        > and I can give you some tips as to how to best utilize it.
        >
        > As far as the surname 'GALLOS', I have been advised that the Slavic (Hungarian)
        > spelling for GALOVICH is probably 'GALOVIC', with the C pronounced as "ch" and I
        > feel confident that it is not associated with Gallos.
        >
        > Best of luck in your search!
        >
        > Pat,
        > Mission, B.C.
        > ____________________________________
        >
        > grayce ezarik wrote:
        >
        > > Pat, thanks for the response, where in Canada is a good question, I learned
        > > that from a researcher that had my grandfather's brother on her lineage. It
        > > was indeed a big find for me. She has been searching for 30 years and me
        > > only one year. I do know for a fact the there was a NY Derouin family that
        > > came from Hull Canada, so far we are not related, but I spoke to many of
        > > them and they are so great. They call me a shirt-tail cousin. I traced and
        > > did a tree of their family, just to see if there was a George Washington
        > > Derouin or Joseph Baptist Derouin in among them, but some or their family is
        > > unknown, so the brick wall again. I believe that Hull is in Quebec, they
        > > settled near the lake Ontario and many are in Watertown NY. The strange
        > > part of this is that most of the cousins say their parents told them they
        > > had blue blood. Now that could be the Baldwin side of the family. This is
        > > getting long so will chat again...........thanks loads...........grayce
        > > ps Could your husbands family be Gallos?

        > Avoid the lines and visit avis.com for quick and easy online
        > reservations. Enjoy a compact car nationwide for only $29 a day!
        > Click here for more details.
      • Bill & Pat Galovich
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2000
          Hi Mona and List: No, I'm sorry, I am not familiar with the name 'GYUK'. But perhaps
          someone else from this list, more knowledgeable than I, will be able to help you. Best of
          luck to you.

          Pat
          _________________________________

        • helenezx@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2000

            <<Gyuk" nam>>

            Have 2 listings for Gyuk in Slovak Pride database - if you want to contact
            listers, let me know.

            helene
          • Mona
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2000
              Yes to your offer Helene! Please send me the listers of "Gyuk" in the
              Slovak Pride database.

              Thanks a Bunch!
              Mona

            • helenezx@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2000

                <<Yes to your offer Helene! Please send me the listers of "Gyuk" in the
                Slovak Pride database.

                Hi Mona - would you be so kind and send this request to me after May 7 - I am
                away from home and not sure I can save your request.

                helene