Leaving April 4 to Slovakia and other places

  • andrew rabatin
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 23, 2006
      Will be doing genealogy in the Presov, Kocise area of Slovakia for the
      Rabatin family on April. 4. I will post notes and pics as i travel
      every few days. my posts for the Slovak trip can be found at:

      http://blogs.bootsnall.com/wtravlr1/

      for anyone wanting to follow trip as we travel.
    • andrew rabatin
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 11, 2006
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "andrew rabatin" <wtravlr1@...>
        wrote:

        > Will be doing genealogy in the Presov, Kocise area of Slovakia for the
        > Rabatin family on April. 4. I will post notes and pics as i travel
        > every few days. my posts for the Slovak trip can be found at:
        >
        > http://blogs.bootsnall.com/wtravlr1/

        my new site for my homepage for photos is

        http://www.andrew-rabatin.org

        > for anyone wanting to follow trip as we travel.

      • Karen C
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 11, 2006
          Hi Andrew,

          I saw your name on this posting and I thought I would send you a quick note. My husband's grandparents' (Simon CHUPKA/CHUPKO to HELEN BUNJEY (BANDZEJ) marriage certificate (1918) lists the husbands' parents both from Hungary and their names as Andrew CHUPKA and Julia RABAT. There was a rumor in the family that his grandfather changed his name to get to US, so I don't know if he would have still been concerned when he arrived here but his original/assumed name may have been ADAM. I have just started doing this family but your last name is the closest I've seen to the name listed on the cert. Andrew and Julia did not immigrate to the US as far as I know. If you happen to come across one or both of these names, please keep me in mind. I have no clue where they are from although his father said he was Slovak. Please excuse my ignorance of this area, I'm Irish and just learning about all the border changes, etc. in this part of the world.

          There is probably no relation but you never know. Good luck. I hope I can talk my husband to making that flight one day. I've heard that Slovakia is beautiful. Have a wonderful visit.

          Karen

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 11, 2006
            I went on to look at the site and it kept asking me if I wanted to debug it.
            Can someone tell me what that is>
            Ruth

          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 11, 2006
              SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
              You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
              them up in the phone book white pages at
              http://www.zoznamst.sk/hladaj?co=st_zoznam_en

              To use the search engine, you need to complete the first 5 letters
              of last name plus wild card *
              In the 'Town' section use 00 and leave the area code blank to search
              all Slovakia.

              The Slovak area code map is at
              http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

              Using the names >>> CHUPKA/CHUPKO BUNJEY (BANDZEJ) CHUPKA and RABAT.
              <<<, I researched current phone listings to see if I could get
              a "match", at least in terms of general area. Luckily, these names
              are quite rare. See the following table. I hope it reproduces so
              that you can figure it out.

              Rabat* & Chupko* appear in area code 032 and 02. Chupko* and Banzez
              and Rabat* appear in area code 02.

              Area code Rabat*
              Chupko Stanislav, Žilinská 12, Trenèianska Teplá 032 y
              Chupková Božena, SNP 1480/131, Považská Bystrica 042 n
              Chupková Eva, Lánska 962/76, Považská Bystrica 042 n
              Chúpková Melánia, Preèín 369, Prec'ín 042 n
              Chúpková Olga, Záhradná 158, Ladce 042 n
              Chupková Ludmila, Tužina 419, Tužina 046 n

              Bandžej Michal, Dobrovolnícka 243, Trebišov 056

              Chupková Valéria, Karadžic'ova 35, Bratislava 02 y
              Bandžej Juraj, Nejedlého 12, Bratislava 02 y

              This might suggest that your people came from around Bratislava, the
              only place where all three names currently exist in phone listings.

              Yout hypothesis that Rabat might once have been Rabatin is also
              supported by phone listings and also by Ellis Island listings.
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                It's a broken site. Simply, it's asking for an software programmer to come
                and fix it. Not a message you should ever see, but hey, welcome to the
                wonderful, immature world of computers and internet :)

                Either ignore the message and try to carry on or abandon the site.

                Bill

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Karen,

                  If I may, I would like to draw two words of caution.

                  1. It was highly improbable that a person needed to change their name to get
                  to America. The world didn't have it's systems of checks and balances as it
                  does today with high speed communications and computers. It was extremely
                  difficult to go "look for someone" back then, even criminals. Language
                  barriers obfuscated it further.

                  2. Be extremely careful of drawing associations between two similar-looking
                  old-country names, even if they are off by only a few letters. They most
                  often are un-related. Even the same surname from different villages may be
                  entirely unrelated.

                  A corollary is once they left their native land, there was a frequent, but
                  not predominant trend to "adjust" the name to the new country's language.
                  Not larger, but it did occur. So when searching surnames, consider the
                  context - are you looking for names extant in the US or perhaps trying to
                  find the family back in Slovakia? It has been my experience that people who
                  remained in Slovakia never had a reason to change their surnames. Your
                  mileage will vary of course, but the odds are against it.

                  Bill

                  wrote:

                  > Will be doing genealogy in the Presov, Kocise area of Slovakia for the
                  > Rabatin family on April. 4. I will post notes and pics as i travel
                  > every few days. my posts for the Slovak trip can be found at:
                  >
                  > http://blogs.bootsnall.com/wtravlr1/

                  my new site for my homepage for photos is

                  http://www.andrew-rabatin.org

                  > for anyone wanting to follow trip as we travel.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                    >>> I went on to look at the site and it kept asking me if I wanted
                    to debug it. <<<

                    It worked perfectly for me. Try again.
                  • Karen C
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                      Bill,

                      Thanks so much for the words of caution. I do know where 3 of the families are in the US. The Chupko/Rabat descendent may have been the only child to come to US. I know how family stories can change about the name change. I just wanted to concentrate in the right direction. What I am getting from you is that he may have used the "Adam" name to get out of Austria-Hungary but very likely he went back to his surname when he boarded the ship to the US and lived in the US?

                      I am visiting my husbands family next month and I'm going to try to jog their memories. Also, maybe they can look through old photos and papers and find something valuable to me in my search. So in this family I want to concentrate on the ancestors but with the lack of records, as you stated earlier, and no knowledge of where he came from I am lost where to start.

                      Now the Bandzej family is a little different. There are was only one Bandzej that came to US originally. A nephew came later and I have found the nephew's daughter. She does have knowledge where this family originated. They were Carpatho-Rusyn (Orthodox Greek Catholics) and the family was originally in the village of Hradiste and then moved to Markovce which I believe is in Zemplen. I ordered some records from this area from FHC but they were Roman Catholic and glancing through them I found no entries for this name.

                      I think I may start by asking what church they attended in Johnstown, PA., and maybe they have someone that does record searches for them.

                      Thanks again for your help,

                      Karen

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                        >>> They were Carpatho-Rusyn (Orthodox Greek Catholics) and the
                        family was originally in the village of Hradiste and then moved to
                        Markovce which I believe is in Zemplen. I ordered some records from
                        this area from FHC but they were Roman Catholic and glancing through
                        them I found no entries for this name. <<<

                        There are SEVERAL instances of Hradiste. Your RC church records
                        were "no help" but you may have had the wrong village as well as the
                        wrong relgion.

                        Markovce is in the former Zemplen Magye (county) and Zemplinske
                        Hradiste is 10 km due west (much further by road). Both villages
                        have GC church records available at LDS.

                        LDS has (scant) Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms,
                        marriages and deaths for Zemplínske Hradište, Slovakia, formerly
                        Hardicsa, Zemplén, Hungary.

                        Krstení 1872-1900 Zomrelí 1872-1896 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2010708
                        Item 3 ]

                        Zomrelí 1896-1921 Sobášení 1872-1926 - FHL INTL Film [ 2010709 Item
                        1 ]

                        Also, Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
                        deaths for Markovce, Slovakia, formerly Márk, Zemplén, Hungary.

                        Krstení 1827-1860 Zomrelí 1853-1860 Sobášení 1827-1861 Zomrelí 1827-
                        1846 Krstení 1860-1913 Zomrelí 1860-1913 Sobášení 1860-1913
                        DRUHOPISY Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1882-1895 - FHL INTL Film [
                        1792637 Items 3-5 ]

                        Further, this supports the ealier telephone survey of names as this
                        is in area code 056. Any marriages would have been from this
                        immediate area, usually within TWO villages distance.
                      • johnqadam
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                          >>> Now the Bandzej family is a little different. There are was only
                          one Bandzej that came to US originally. A nephew came later and I
                          have found the nephew's daughter. She does have knowledge where this
                          family originated. They were Carpatho-Rusyn (Orthodox Greek
                          Catholics) and the family was originally in the village of Hradiste
                          and then moved to Markovce which I believe is in Zemplen. <<<

                          Trebisov is one town (7 km) north of Zemplinske Hradiste. There is a
                          potential cousin in Trebisov.

                          Bandžej Michal
                          Dobrovolnícka 243
                          Trebišov
                        • johnqadam
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                            >>> the family was originally in the village of Hradiste and then
                            moved to Markovce which I believe is in Zemplen. <<<

                            Is the Ellis island entry Bandzej, Michal, born 1897, in your
                            database? The indicated birthplace, "Tchoriovce", was unknown to me
                            but I got the answer from Mark Sabol on the Delphi site.

                            "The village of Horovce is 6 miles southwest of Michalovce and 5
                            miles northeast of Trebisov. In the past its name was spelled
                            Thurowce, Hor, and (in 1920) Tchorovce."

                            It would appear that the nearest GC church is 3 km east at
                            Trhoviste. LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms,
                            marriages and deaths for Trhovište, Slovakia; formerly Vásárhely,
                            Zemplén, Hungary.

                            Krstení 1804-1845 Zomrelí 1804-1844 Sobášení 1804-1843 Krstení 1845-
                            1883 Zomrelí 1845-1883 Sobášení 1845-1883 Sobášení 1884-1911 Zomrelí
                            1884-1912 Krstení 1884-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794073 Items 2-4 ]

                            Krstení 1895-1923 Krstení 1880, 1868, 1900-1901, 1904 . DRUHOPISY:
                            Krstení, sobášení, zomrelí 1878-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1794056
                            Items 1-2 ]
                          • Karen C
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                              Thanks so much. I'm going to an FHC tomorrow to look at some other records so I'll order these. You have been a tremendous help.

                              Karen

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 12, 2006
                                That is the nephew that came after my George Bandzej. Thank you, I didn't try looking for him but I hadn't found George on a manifest as of yet.

                                Karen