Re: Illustrious baptisms

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15 4:36 PM
      Andrea,

      I think you may be mistaken about the "upper class" not going to church
      services with the "peasants". I'm certain people went to services of
      whatever faith where the church/synagogue was, and I doubt any families
      had clerics of any faith who only served them.

      Whether you were of a noble birth or a peasant, the church would still
      hold the records of your families events... that is if you attended the
      church. The records I have seen are much more like vital registers, and
      have often noted the fairly large amount of illegitimate births/baptisms
      recorded.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15 7:20 PM
        I don't know how things were in Slovakia, but in France, for example, it was
        quite usual for a chateau to have a private chapel and personal chaplain, a
        priest (often from a religious order in the neighborhood) who was attached
        to that estate. Households were quite large and would gather for morning
        and evening prayers and daily Mass. This was also the case in England
        before the Reformation. In Protestant households, the private chapel was
        still used for family prayers, including servants and dependents, although
        it would not generally boast its own chaplain. This is one of those details
        of daily life that I would like to understand. In the Anglican Church,
        wealthy people bought their own family pews, often at great expense, which
        were reserved for their exclusive use. The lower classes sat further back
        in the free seats.

        It's an interesting subject. I have come across two or three "illustrious"
        baptisms in these Lutheran records, and will go back to look more closely
        and see if I can find a reference to a private chapel or other location.

        The real question is, what were the usual relations between the Hungarian
        aristocrats and the Slovak peasants? How rigid was the social code?

        I have also come across a very small number of illegitimate child baptisms,
        one without godparents.