Re: [S-R] Surname Girbar

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2006
      I have this name in my family, perhaps, as Gerbar, circa 1770 -- there was a
      family in Csakany (C~akanovce) south of Pres~ov. I think I have seen both
      spellings in Evangelical church records from Rank (Rankovce). It might just
      be one of those indeterminate phonetic spelling situations.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
        That's the woman Anna Gerbar, my g-g-g-g-g-grandmother who married Samuel Szabo around 1760. I think there was more information on the Gerbar family in C~akanovce but I don't think I had her parents' names. I can check. My theory was the Gerbars were native Slovaks into whose family the outsider/newcomer Szabo married. My other theory is that there was a large Rusyn element in the vicinity, with a lot of surnames like Fedoryak and Rusnak and Petrilla. Maybe Gerbar/Girbar is Rusyn.