Surname Girbar

  • bakemail
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 7, 2006
      Hi Group,
      I researched the FHC microfilm for the Evangelical church in Zehna
      (near Presov). My ggrandmother Alzbeta Girbar (born abt 1851) married
      my ggrandfather Juraj Kocerha (born 1846). Is Girbar the Hungarian
      spelling? Her brother who immigrated to the U.S. changed it to Gibber
      after 1910. The church record did not indicate her birth village or
      that they were married in the Zehna Evangelical church. Thanks for
      any help. Bob Kocerha
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 7, 2006
        >>> Evangelical church in Zehna . . . The church record did not
        indicate her birth village or that they were married in the Zehna
        Evangelical church. <<<

        I am a bit confused. "The marriage record did not her indicate the
        village of birth." It was probably (99%) Zehna.

        "or that they were married" -- that's where I get confused. They were
        married in Zehna.
      • Bob Kocerha
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 8, 2006
          Hi,
          I apologize for the confusion. The church record I researched showed the births of Alzbeta and Juraj's children. However, in searching the microfilm I did not find a record of their marriage for the Evangelical Church in Zehna. Since I believe Alzbeta was from another nearby village they were probably married other than in Zehna. If I had been able to establish her birth village, then I could search the church records from that village. Thanks, Bob

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 8, 2006
            Sorry, I haven't had time to read all of this message thread. However, I
            will tell you that with small villages, it is not a lot of work to quickly
            scan neighboring village church records, especially if the records are
            written in a columnar form. I've probably done that for about 20
            villages. If the films are in the FHL, it is the logistics of ordering
            and viewing them that matter. The cost, perhaps $3.50/roll x10 rolls, $35
            seems like a small price to pay. I would encourage you to go that route.
            Bill

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 8, 2006
              >>> The church record I researched showed the births of Alzbeta and
              Juraj's children. However, in searching the microfilm I did not
              find a record of their marriage for the Evangelical Church in
              Zehna. Since I believe Alzbeta was from another nearby village they
              were probably married other than in Zehna. If I had been able to
              establish her birth village, then I could search the church records
              from that village. <<<

              Aha! Now I understand. Yes, you are on the right track. The marriage
              was celebrated in the wife's village and the children are recorded
              in the husband's village.

              Step 1) If the marriage/births were before 1869, check the very
              informative 1869 Hungarian Census film:
              Zsegnye (Žehòa) FHL INTL Film 2162309 Item 5

              Step 2) Something called "The Adam Theorem", developed on another
              popular BBS says that the wife's village was no more than TWO
              villages away or one day's walk, round trip.

              Expect the wife to live in the surrounding villages of Abranovce (no
              church), Kokos'ovce (RC), (north); Lesic'ek (no church), Tuhrina (RC)
              (east an south); Dubrava (no church), Nieres'e (no church), Mirkovce
              (west and southwest).

              Assuming that the wife was of the same religion, you will need to
              work the growing circle of villages to find another set of
              Evangelical church records to have a look at.
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 8, 2006
                >>> The cost, perhaps $3.50/roll <<<

                In Canada, the price has been increased to C$7.00 per roll for first
                rental and also renewals. I don't know the new US prices.

                On the plus side, we have brand new scanning hardware and software and
                can now save on a thumb drive.
              • Tom Potsko
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 8, 2006
                  John,

                  It's 5.50 in the US. Tom

                  On 3/8/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                  > In Canada, the price has been increased to C$7.00 per roll for first
                  > rental and also renewals. I don't know the new US prices.
                  >
                  > On the plus side, we have brand new scanning hardware and software and
                  > can now save on a thumb drive.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Tom Potsko
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 8, 2006
                    John,

                    Did LDS provide the new hardware and software? Tom

                  • krisstrot@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 8, 2006
                      My Family History Center replaced their old microfilm viewer/copier about 8 months ago. They didn't become eligible for that new machine until the old one died and could not be repaired. It was VERY old. The FHC received their new equipment as a "gift" from St. Lake City. They also received DSL internet access, so life got exceedingly better at my FHC last summer. Their new Canon scanner/computer system works great, can make pdf's to burn to a CD, or you can make regular paper copies, or you can e-mail your pages to your home computer. I'm not sure about thumb drives. During that six month "down time" I had reviewed films all the way back to the 1600's, made notes, and at long last was able to pull up the pages of interest, scan them, burn them to a CD, and finally make copies at home.
                      A while back there was a discussion about "indefinite loan" status on films. I asked my FHC librarian about that and she told me that our center retains forever all films that had been paid for three times, unless recalled by St. Lake City. The only time films are recalled, she said, are if new privacy guildelines are placed in effect which impact on films already in our library. So far, she told me, none of our films have been recalled, but recall bulletins are received from time to time.
                      Kris

                      Did LDS provide the new hardware and software? Tom

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 8, 2006
                        Wow, if you can save to a drive, that is certainly worth C$7 in my book!
                        Beats those paper copies I then have to scan in.

                        --
                        Bill Tarkulich
                        http://www.iabsi.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 8, 2006
                          > Did LDS provide the new hardware and software? Tom

                          Yesiree!
                        • joann0271
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 8, 2006
                            I have not been to my local LDS center since I moved - but previously
                            I had been going to one in Maryland. After paying for one renewal I
                            believe they kept some of mine on permanent loan. And it was my
                            understanding that when they did this they made another copy off the
                            master for circulation. I had never heard anything about them
                            possibly being recalled. But now I am not even living in the same
                            area so I would have to reorder all those films anyway.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 8, 2006
                              Actually, you have to pay for TWO renewals (3X in total) for the film
                              to become permanent.
                            • Bob Kocerha
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 9, 2006
                                Hi Group,
                                Thanks much to Andrea Vangor, John Q. Adam, and Bill Tarkulich. Your responses have all been very helpful. Much appreciated, Bob Kocerha

                              • Al and Peggy Dubnicka
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 10, 2006
                                  Bill,
                                  Just a note about film rental at the LDS. The price at our LDS church is
                                  now $5.50 a roll plus .25 for the church.
                                  Al

                                  Bill Tarkulich wrote:
                                  > Sorry, I haven't had time to read all of this message thread. However, I
                                  > will tell you that with small villages, it is not a lot of work to quickly
                                  > scan neighboring village church records, especially if the records are
                                  > written in a columnar form. I've probably done that for about 20
                                  > villages. If the films are in the FHL, it is the logistics of ordering
                                  > and viewing them that matter. The cost, perhaps $3.50/roll x10 rolls, $35
                                  > seems like a small price to pay. I would encourage you to go that route.
                                  > Bill
                                  >
                                  > On Wed, March 8, 2006 8:39 am, Bob Kocerha said:
                                  >
                                  >> Hi,
                                  >> I apologize for the confusion. The church record I researched showed
                                  >> the births of Alzbeta and Juraj's children. However, in searching the
                                  >> microfilm I did not find a record of their marriage for the Evangelical
                                  >> Church in Zehna. Since I believe Alzbeta was from another nearby
                                  >> village they were probably married other than in Zehna. If I had been
                                  >> able to establish her birth village, then I could search the church
                                  >> records from that village. Thanks, Bob

                                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Dan Kisha
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 1, 2007
                                    Bob Kocerha

                                    My mother's maiden name was Mary Ontko (from Windber, PA), and her
                                    mother's maiden name was Anna Kocserha, from Abranovce, Slovakia.
                                    I also visited the Lutheran Church in Zehna, Slovakia to find
                                    records of the family.

                                    Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...
                                    Slovak Import Company
                                    New WWW Address: http://www.slovakic.com
                                    Ebay WWW Address:
                                    http://www.ebaystores.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany?refid=store
                                    Phone number in the US: 410 273 1149

                                    I researched the FHC microfilm for the Evangelical church in Zehna

                                    (near Presov). My ggrandmother Alzbeta Girbar (born abt 1851)
                                    married
                                    my ggrandfather Juraj Kocerha (born 1846). Is Girbar the
                                    Hungarian
                                    spelling? Her brother who immigrated to the U.S. changed it to
                                    Gibber
                                    after 1910. The church record did not indicate her birth village
                                    or
                                    that they were married in the Zehna Evangelical church. Thanks
                                    for
                                    any help. Bob Kocerha

                                    To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                                    http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank
                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  • Janet Kozlay
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 2, 2007
                                      Dear Bob and Dan,

                                      I found only one Girbar in the Ellis Island records--Andras, who immigrated
                                      in 1904 to his uncle Andras Kalivosko in Peale PA. He accompanied the
                                      latter's wife and child, also named Andras Kalivosko. They were all from
                                      Huvesz (now Lucina SK), which was close to Zsegnye (Zehna).

                                      Is it possible that there was a Catholic connection? Roman Catholic records
                                      are available for nearby villages of Tuhrina and Kokosovce. Since the
                                      Lutheran records don't seem to have been productive, it might be worth a
                                      shot to see if you can find your people there. Records of non-Catholics are
                                      occasionally found in RC churches for a variety of reasons, most typically
                                      if one of the spouses was Catholic.

                                      Girbar appears to be a very rare name. I was unable to find it in the phone
                                      directories for either Slovakia or Hungary.

                                      I wish you a successful hunt.

                                      Janet

                                      _____

                                      My mother's maiden name was Mary Ontko (from Windber, PA), and her
                                      mother's maiden name was Anna Kocserha, from Abranovce, Slovakia.
                                      I also visited the Lutheran Church in Zehna, Slovakia to find
                                      records of the family.

                                      Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@ <mailto:daniel.kisha%40prodigy.net> prodigy.net
                                      Slovak Import Company
                                      New WWW Address: http://www.slovakic <http://www.slovakic.com> .com
                                      Ebay WWW Address:
                                      http://www.ebaystor
                                      <http://www.ebaystores.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany?refid=store>
                                      es.ebay.com/slovakimportcompany?refid=store
                                      Phone number in the US: 410 273 1149

                                      I researched the FHC microfilm for the Evangelical church in Zehna

                                      (near Presov). My ggrandmother Alzbeta Girbar (born abt 1851)
                                      married
                                      my ggrandfather Juraj Kocerha (born 1846). Is Girbar the
                                      Hungarian
                                      spelling? Her brother who immigrated to the U.S. changed it to
                                      Gibber
                                      after 1910. The church record did not indicate her birth village
                                      or
                                      that they were married in the Zehna Evangelical church. Thanks
                                      for
                                      any help. Bob Kocerha

                                      To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                                      http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
                                      ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank
                                      email to SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                                      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • helene cincebeaux
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 2, 2007
                                        I found a somewhat similar name in our Slvaok Pride data base -
                                        Gerbar Cakanovce ABOV

                                        e mail me direct if you wish more info

                                        helene
                                        helenezx@...