Re: [S-R] kocis -PRONUNCIATION??

  • Evelyn Marsh
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
      We have pronounced it as Kochiss.
      Evelyn

      CasperVeth@... wrote:
      How do you pronounce KOCIS? I have Kochek in my lineage - previously
      spelled KOCIC from what I have gathered on this forum. They settled in
      Cartaret, NJ in the 1880s.

      Ray Veth
      Middletown, NJ

      Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2006
        I would expect both the C and the S to have an accent mark over the
        character, each being pronounced CH and SH. This is not a promise, but
        something I commonly see.

        In many cases (not all) people modified their names to use English language
        constructs which make the name still sound the same as in the homeland.

        Bill