Meaning of those numbers on manifests

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2006
      I am trying to find a link that gives detailed information about this -- actually I used to have one, a computer ago. Maybe it's at NARA. Anyway, I'm looking for information about those numbers that are sometimes written over passenger manifest entries. My understanding is that they were added during World War II, either to document that the immigrant had been naturalized, or had registered as an alien. Am I correct so far? In that case, how would we explain the absence of such numbers for an immigrant who was alive and in the U.S. throughout the War?

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
        http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/history/MANIF/ANNOT.htm

        Bill

        I am trying to find a link that gives detailed information about this --
        actually I used to have one, a computer ago. Maybe it's at NARA. Anyway,
        I'm looking for information about those numbers that are sometimes written
        over passenger manifest entries. My understanding is that they were added
        during World War II, either to document that the immigrant had been
        naturalized, or had registered as an alien. Am I correct so far? In that
        case, how would we explain the absence of such numbers for an immigrant who
        was alive and in the U.S. throughout the War?

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • bhewlett@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
          I think this is the web site you lost:
          http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests
          I tired to get in the other one that was sent to you but it said that I didn't have the authority to do so.
          Joyce

          From: Andrea Vangor <drav@...>