VARSA and CEKEL Families

  • Marilyn Hertenstein
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
      Hello list! I just joined and am researching my family names of VARSA and
      CEKEL.

      Andrej Varsa was born in Teplicska in 1871 to Mathias and Maria Kristoff
      Varsa. He married Maria Cekel, who was born in 1872 in Markus-Csepanfalu
      and was the daughter of Stefan and Maria Dzuricza Cekel. They married in
      Markus-Csepanfalu, Czechoslovakia in 1897. Andrej came to the US in 1906 to
      Struthers, Mahoning County, Ohio (Near Youngstown, OH) to work in the steel
      mills. Maria followed in 1912 with 4 children, Michael, Joseph, Marie A.
      and Magdalena. They listed Hungary as Country of Citizenship and Race as
      Slovak on the manifest. The Petition for Naturalization lists this city as
      Marcu Shovec, Czechoslovakia. However, these two cities are now in
      Slovakia, located near Spissa Nova Ves. Markus-Csepanfalu is now known as
      Marku Shovec or Markusovce. It is interesting to know that many people from
      that area settled in Mahoning County, Ohio, and in fact, the city of Spissa
      Nova Ves, Slovakia and Youngstown, Ohio, USA are Sister Cities.

      I've had fun over the past 5 years tracing the roots from these grandparents
      (and others), and have most of the American born family on record. I know
      when and where Andrej and Maria came to the US, their ships, their census
      entries, etc. I would now like to dig deeper and find ancestors in
      Slovakia. The FHC films I've seen seem to show several siblings for every
      family BUT my grandfather's, so perhaps I will have to expand to surrounding
      areas to find brothers or sisters to Andrej. I have connected through the
      internet with two "cousins" on the Cekel side, and have quite a bit on that
      family. I'd like to find more Varsa ancestors now.

      I would enjoy hearing from anyone researching or connected to the VARSA or
      CEKEL families.

      Happy Hunting,
      Marilyn Varsho Hertenstein

      Researching:
      Surnames:
      VARSA, VARSHO, VARSSA, VARSO
      CEKEL, CHECKEL, CZEKEL, CSEJKEL, CHECKAL
      Cities:
      Teplicska and Markusovce - now in Slovakia

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
        >>> Andrej Varsa was born in Teplicska in 1871 to Mathias and Maria
        Kristoff Varsa. He married Maria Cekel, who was born in 1872 in
        Markus-Csepanfalu and was the daughter of Stefan and Maria Dzuricza
        Cekel. They married in Markus-Csepanfalu, Czechoslovakia in 1897.<<<

        1) Have you reviewed the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
        at LDS?

        Márkus-Csépánfalu (Markušovce) FHL INTL Film 2149898 Item 3

        2) Terminology: Czechoslovakia did not exist in the 1800s.

        3) Your Dzuricza might be Dzuricka (per phone listings).

        4) SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
        You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
        them up in the phone book white pages at
        http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first
        three letters of the family name and the area code 053.

        The Slovak area code map is at
        http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

        The following could be of interest:
        Emília Varšová, Spišská Nová Ves
        Helena Varšová, Spišske Podhradie
        Katarína Varšaová, Teplic'ka nad Hornádom
        Leopoldína Varšová, Spišská Nová Ves
        Michal Varša, Teplic'ka nad Hornádom
        Pavel Varša, Spišská Nová Ves
        Slavomír Varša, Spišská Nová Ves
        Stanislav Varša, Markušovce
        Štefan Varšo, Spišská Nová Ves
        Štefan Krištof, Spišská Nová Ves
        František Èekel, Spišská Nová Ves
        Ing. František Èekel, Spišská Nová Ves
        Ing. Marián Èekel, Spišská Nová Ves
        Angela Dzurická, Spišská Nová Ves

        Apologies for any accented letters that did not reproduce correctly.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
          Èekel = C'ekel
        • Marilyn Hertenstein
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006
            Thanks for the input! I'm not sure I saw that census film. I looked at the birth, death and marriages. Looks like I need to make another trip to the FHC.
            The letters came through fine on my computer. Is the Èekel the equivalent to Cekel written in English letters?

            Marilyn

            _____

            >>> Andrej Varsa was born in Teplicska in 1871 to Mathias and Maria
            Kristoff Varsa. He married Maria Cekel, who was born in 1872 in
            Markus-Csepanfalu and was the daughter of Stefan and Maria Dzuricza
            Cekel. They married in Markus-Csepanfalu, Czechoslovakia in 1897.<<<

            1) Have you reviewed the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census film
            at LDS?

            Márkus-Csépánfalu (Markušovce) FHL INTL Film 2149898 Item 3

            2) Terminology: Czechoslovakia did not exist in the 1800s.

            3) Your Dzuricza might be Dzuricka (per phone listings).

            4) SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
            You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
            them up in the phone book white pages at
            http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first
            three letters of the family name and the area code 053.

            The Slovak area code map is at
            http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

            The following could be of interest:
            Emília Varšová, Spišská Nová Ves
            Helena Varšová, Spišske Podhradie
            Katarína Varšaová, Teplic'ka nad Hornádom
            Leopoldína Varšová, Spišská Nová Ves
            Michal Varša, Teplic'ka nad Hornádom
            Pavel Varša, Spišská Nová Ves
            Slavomír Varša, Spišská Nová Ves
            Stanislav Varša, Markušovce
            Štefan Varšo, Spišská Nová Ves
            Štefan Krištof, Spišská Nová Ves
            František Èekel, Spišská Nová Ves
            Ing. František Èekel, Spišská Nová Ves
            Ing. Marián Èekel, Spišská Nová Ves
            Angela Dzurická, Spišská Nová Ves

            Apologies for any accented letters that did not reproduce correctly.

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            _____