Re: [S-R] New Member Intro Message

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
      >>> I am just starting on this and really am unsure of what
      direction is best. I would love to find out about my ancestors, but
      would also like to see if I have cousins and so fourth in the "old
      country". I would appreciate any info or suggestions.<<<

      Take some time to check out the following web site.
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

      JOB ONE is to figure out the village of origin. It is manadatory.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
        >>> His name is Patchen and her maiden name was Evancho. She was
        married to a Manosky before she married my great grandfather.<<<

        1) You didn't say WHERE they were married. That makes a big
        difference. If they married in the old country, they lived with TWO
        villages distance.

        2) Two of your surnames are quite unique. That allows playing "name
        games" with the current phone listings. While not proof of anything,
        the villages may serve to point you in the right direction.

        SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
        You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
        them up in the phone book white pages at
        http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first
        three letters of the family name and the area code.

        The Slovak area code map is at
        http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

        Sorry if some accented letters don't reproduce correctly on your
        screen.

        Anna Maòovská Košice
        Anna Maòovská Krompachy
        Bohdan Maòovský Nitra
        Jozef Maòovský Slovinky
        Štefan Maòovský Slovinky
        Mária Maòovská Slovinky
        Jozef Maòovský Moldava nad Bodvou
        MUDr. Ján Maòovský Rimavská Sobota

        Alžbeta Patsányiova, Košice
        Patsch(ova) 28X

        Ivanc'o(va) 153X (too many to be useful)

        The only "match" is Kosice in area code 055. Given area code 055,
        and reiterating the search, we can reduce the possible village list.

        Anna Maòovská, Košice
        Jozef Maòovský, Moldava nad Bodvou
        Alžbeta Patsányiova, Košice
        Dušan Ivanèo, Košice
        Ing. Eva Ivanèová, Košice
        Ing. Vladimír-Igor Ivanèo, Košice
        Jaroslav Ivanèo, Košice
        JUDr. Emil Ivanèo, Košice
        Katarína Ivanèová, Košice
        MUDr. Imrich Ivanèo, Košice
        Paraska Ivanèová, Košice
        Prof.MUDr.CSc. Imrich Ivanèo, Košice
        René Ivanèo, Košice

        Now, if you are a betting person, where would you put your money? I
        thought so. Did you say GC for religion?

        CENTER (FHC)

        LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
        deaths for Košice, Slovakia, formerly Kassa, Abauj-Torna, Hungary.
        Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian. Indexed. Children baptized
        in 1852-1911 were from mixed marriages, where one of the parents was
        Greek Catholic and the other Roman Catholic. The children were Greek
        Catholic even though baptized in the Roman Catholic church.

        Krstení 1850-1861 Sobášení 1851-1868 Zomrelí 1851-1864 Krstení 1861-
        1882 - FHL INTL Film [ 1920770 Items 6-7 ]

        Krstení 1882-1890 Krstení 1852-1911 (miešané manželstvá) Sobášení
        1869-1908 Zomrelí 1864-1899 Krstení 1890-1909 - FHL INTL Film [
        1920771 ]

        Krstení 1909-1912 Index k matrike pokrstených 1851-1943 Index k
        matrike sobášených 1851-1906 Index k matrike zomrelých 1851-1906 -
        FHL INTL Film [ 1920772 Items 1-3 ]

        Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
        to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
        film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
        research.

        TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
        translations.

        Good luck and happy squinting.