Re: [S-R] New Member Intro Message

  • monica stewart
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
      Hi,
      I am not sure if this will be helpful or not, but my Mother grew up in Brookside, Alabama. She went to school with some children last name of Bencko(Bensco is pronunciation). Greg Bencko, one of the sons of Pete, who went to school with my Mother used to live next door to me in Birmingham, Alabama. The graveyards at Brookside and Cardiff Alabama may hold some answers for you possibly.
      And also, there is a Russion Orthodox church there that many immigrants attended.
      Hope this is helpful
      Monica

      njbama75 <gandrasko@...> wrote:
      Good Evening,

      I just received my access. I am researching my father's family,
      specifically my grandfather, Andrew Andrasko (spelling may have been
      changed)and my grandmother, Elisabeth Benko and their respective
      families. I found one family record that indicated my great-
      grandfather's name was George Andrasko and my maternal great-
      grandparents were George Benko and Anna Hajducin.

      My father had once told me that his father (Andrew) emigrated around
      1890 from the village of Maly Saris. I had understood that my
      grandmother was from another village near there. Her Ellis Island
      record states its name as Berunka but I haven't been able to find
      that town. She came over in 1900. Our part of the Andrasko family
      settled in Blakely Boro (Peckville), Lackawanna County, PA. Family
      religious background is Lutheran.

      Unfortunately, my grandfather was only semi-literate leaving no
      written records of anything. Complicating things, he died in 1927.
      I'm told some family members did write to one of my aunts until the
      late 1940s but the correspondence evidently ended when she became
      angry that the letters received only asked for money. (Aunt Anna was
      also a bigtime housecleaner - if it didn't move it got thrown
      out!) None of my father's generation remain and none of my older
      cousins were interested in any of the family history. Bottom line:
      I've dead ended.

      I will check back through old posts for suggestions on this board,
      but welcome any ideas that will get me back on track. Thanks!

      Gary Andrasko

      Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

      ---------------------------------

    • monica stewart
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
        Trying to help someone else. I forgot to say what I'm searching for. My great grandmother and grandfather came to Alabama from Austria, Hungary. His name is Patchen and her maiden name was Evancho. She was married to a Manosky before she married my great grandfather. They settled in Brookside Alabama. He was a miner.
        I am just starting on this and really am unsure of what direction is best. I would love to find out about my ancestors, but would also like to see if I have cousins and so fourth in the "old country". I would appreciate any info or suggestions.
        Thank you

        njbama75 <gandrasko@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Richard D. Custer

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
            >>> I am just starting on this and really am unsure of what
            direction is best. I would love to find out about my ancestors, but
            would also like to see if I have cousins and so fourth in the "old
            country". I would appreciate any info or suggestions.<<<

            Take some time to check out the following web site.
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

            JOB ONE is to figure out the village of origin. It is manadatory.
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
              >>> His name is Patchen and her maiden name was Evancho. She was
              married to a Manosky before she married my great grandfather.<<<

              1) You didn't say WHERE they were married. That makes a big
              difference. If they married in the old country, they lived with TWO
              villages distance.

              2) Two of your surnames are quite unique. That allows playing "name
              games" with the current phone listings. While not proof of anything,
              the villages may serve to point you in the right direction.

              SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
              You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
              them up in the phone book white pages at
              http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first
              three letters of the family name and the area code.

              The Slovak area code map is at
              http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

              Sorry if some accented letters don't reproduce correctly on your
              screen.

              Anna Maòovská Košice
              Anna Maòovská Krompachy
              Bohdan Maòovský Nitra
              Jozef Maòovský Slovinky
              Štefan Maòovský Slovinky
              Mária Maòovská Slovinky
              Jozef Maòovský Moldava nad Bodvou
              MUDr. Ján Maòovský Rimavská Sobota

              Alžbeta Patsányiova, Košice
              Patsch(ova) 28X

              Ivanc'o(va) 153X (too many to be useful)

              The only "match" is Kosice in area code 055. Given area code 055,
              and reiterating the search, we can reduce the possible village list.

              Anna Maòovská, Košice
              Jozef Maòovský, Moldava nad Bodvou
              Alžbeta Patsányiova, Košice
              Dušan Ivanèo, Košice
              Ing. Eva Ivanèová, Košice
              Ing. Vladimír-Igor Ivanèo, Košice
              Jaroslav Ivanèo, Košice
              JUDr. Emil Ivanèo, Košice
              Katarína Ivanèová, Košice
              MUDr. Imrich Ivanèo, Košice
              Paraska Ivanèová, Košice
              Prof.MUDr.CSc. Imrich Ivanèo, Košice
              René Ivanèo, Košice

              Now, if you are a betting person, where would you put your money? I
              thought so. Did you say GC for religion?

              CENTER (FHC)

              LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
              deaths for Košice, Slovakia, formerly Kassa, Abauj-Torna, Hungary.
              Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian. Indexed. Children baptized
              in 1852-1911 were from mixed marriages, where one of the parents was
              Greek Catholic and the other Roman Catholic. The children were Greek
              Catholic even though baptized in the Roman Catholic church.

              Krstení 1850-1861 Sobášení 1851-1868 Zomrelí 1851-1864 Krstení 1861-
              1882 - FHL INTL Film [ 1920770 Items 6-7 ]

              Krstení 1882-1890 Krstení 1852-1911 (miešané manželstvá) Sobášení
              1869-1908 Zomrelí 1864-1899 Krstení 1890-1909 - FHL INTL Film [
              1920771 ]

              Krstení 1909-1912 Index k matrike pokrstených 1851-1943 Index k
              matrike sobášených 1851-1906 Index k matrike zomrelých 1851-1906 -
              FHL INTL Film [ 1920772 Items 1-3 ]

              Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
              to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
              film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
              research.

              TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
              translations.

              Good luck and happy squinting.