Name in Greek Catholic Records

  • Bruce L. Bauer
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4 6:17 AM
      I have an individual who is identified several times as Martha, and
      at other times as Marsha when the records are written in Latin. A
      translation of when the records are not written in Latin would be
      Marja. Is this normal? I will use Martha, as that is what was used
      in this country after she immigrated but was curious about the use in
      Slovakia. (The husband and house number remain the same so it is the
      same woman.)

      I also ran across a marriage record where the bride's last name was
      given as her new married name. (It was not the case of marrying
      another branch of the family) However, in the birth's of her
      numerous children, her correct maiden name is given. Lazy
      priest? Does this happen often?

      Bruce
    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4 7:35 AM
        To your first question, I have a first cousin Maria in Slovakia who
        is commonly called Marsha. I suspect it is personal choice and to
        separate her from all the other Maria's.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce L. Bauer" <bbauer@...>