1869 Census Terms

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
      I have been able to translate much of the census records but I am
      stuck on a couple of words. I am finding that various family
      members lived next door to each other and are likely siblings or
      cousins. Most of my family were listed as "foldesz" but I cannot
      find a definition for this term. I'm wondering if this is like the
      word "foldmuvelas" which means farmer? In one of these homes, the
      man is listed as "idos_" (possibly "idosb")"foldesz". Does this
      mean he was the senior farmer of the family?

      In my previous message, I asked about the terms "felso"
      and "varos". These terms are handwritten after the word "Utcza"
      which I'm translating as meaning street (Utca). So, I'm guessing
      that varos indicates in the village and felso indicates an upper
      side of town.
      Helen, I think you indicate that you agree with this interpretation.

      I have been very disappointed in the lack of information in the RC
      Church records for Szinna (Snina). The marriage records do not
      include the names of the parents which makes it almost impossible to
      trace a family back very far. However, the 1869 Census has an
      extensive amount of information about each household which has
      helped a lot.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
        LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
        See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
        details.
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
          földes ur = land lord
          idösb = elder, older
          felso is upper, as in upstream
          város = city, or village if you prefer.
          These are from a printed copy ofthe LDS Hungarian guide.
          Maybe they are no answers, as there is no declension or case, but
          they are indications.

          Ron

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Kotlarchik"