New Member Intro Message

  • njbama75
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
      Good Evening,

      I just received my access. I am researching my father's family,
      specifically my grandfather, Andrew Andrasko (spelling may have been
      changed)and my grandmother, Elisabeth Benko and their respective
      families. I found one family record that indicated my great-
      grandfather's name was George Andrasko and my maternal great-
      grandparents were George Benko and Anna Hajducin.

      My father had once told me that his father (Andrew) emigrated around
      1890 from the village of Maly Saris. I had understood that my
      grandmother was from another village near there. Her Ellis Island
      record states its name as Berunka but I haven't been able to find
      that town. She came over in 1900. Our part of the Andrasko family
      settled in Blakely Boro (Peckville), Lackawanna County, PA. Family
      religious background is Lutheran.

      Unfortunately, my grandfather was only semi-literate leaving no
      written records of anything. Complicating things, he died in 1927.
      I'm told some family members did write to one of my aunts until the
      late 1940s but the correspondence evidently ended when she became
      angry that the letters received only asked for money. (Aunt Anna was
      also a bigtime housecleaner - if it didn't move it got thrown
      out!) None of my father's generation remain and none of my older
      cousins were interested in any of the family history. Bottom line:
      I've dead ended.

      I will check back through old posts for suggestions on this board,
      but welcome any ideas that will get me back on track. Thanks!

      Gary Andrasko
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
        >>> I am researching my father's family, specifically my
        grandfather, Andrew Andrasko and my grandmother, Elisabeth Benko and
        their respective families. I found one family record that indicated
        my great-grandfather's name was George Andrasko and my maternal
        great-grandparents were George Benko and Anna Hajducin. . . .
        from the village of Maly Saris . . . grandmother was from
        another village near there. . . . Berunka <<<

        Welcome to the board.

        The ONLY important thing you HAVEN'T told us is their religion.

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        CURRENT MAP

        ShtelSeeker will take you to Maly Saris via Mapquest. It is just
        west of Presov.

        I am guessing that your Berunka (per Ellis Ilsand) might be Brezany
        but perhaps we will have to wait for greater minds to figure that
        one out.

        CENTER (FHC)

        Assuming the religion is RC, LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers
        of baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations for Župèany,
        Slovakia, formerly Zsebfalu, Sáros, Hungary. Includes affiliated
        town of Malý Šariš, Slovakia, formerly Kis-Sáros, Sáros, Hungary.

        Krstení 1767-1827 Zomrelí 1767-1827 Sobášení 1767-1827 Krstení 1814-
        1854 Zomrelí 1814-1854 Sobášení 1814-1854 Birmovaní 1836, 1841
        Krstení 1855-1891 Zomrelí 1855-1896 Sobášení 1855-1896 Krstení 1892-
        1896 Malý Šariš - FHL INTL Film [ 1920557 Items 2-8 ]

        Krstení 1767-1814 Sobášení 1768-1814 Zomrelí 1767-1814 DRUHOPISY
        Krstení, zomrelí, sobášení 1860-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1920557
        Items 2-8 ]

        LDS also has the VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census film:
        Kis-Sáros (Malý Šariš) FHL INTL Film 2189246 Item 8

        Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
        to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
        film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
        research.

        TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
        translations.

        LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
        See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
        details.

        1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

        Locate Eperjes = Presov in the beige area, mid-map. Go ONE village
        west, into the pink area and locate Kissaros = Maly Saris. That's
        your village.

        CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
        will likely find in church records.

        It's a start . . .
      • njbama75
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
          Thank you for your suggestions. I thought I mentioned the religious
          background is Lutheran. I have my grandparents' marriage
          certificate. Interestingly, the headers (Groom's name, witnesses,
          etc.) are printed in German, which is not surprising given the heavy
          German influence on the Lutheran Church here in the US, but the
          minister filled in the blanks in Slovak. His handwriting was not
          the best and in fairness I had to have the document restored which
          may have affected some of the handwriting.

          Gary

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
          wrote:

          > grandfather, Andrew Andrasko and my grandmother, Elisabeth Benko
          and
          > their respective families. I found one family record that
          indicated
          > my great-grandfather's name was George Andrasko and my maternal
          > great-grandparents were George Benko and Anna Hajducin. . . .
          > from the village of Maly Saris . . . grandmother was from
          > another village near there. . . . Berunka <<<
          >
          > Welcome to the board.
          >
          > The ONLY important thing you HAVEN'T told us is their religion.
          >
          > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
          > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's
          excellent
          > site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
          >
          > CURRENT MAP
          > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
          > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
          >
          > ShtelSeeker will take you to Maly Saris via Mapquest. It is just
          > west of Presov.
          >
          > I am guessing that your Berunka (per Ellis Ilsand) might be
          Brezany
          > but perhaps we will have to wait for greater minds to figure that
          > one out.
          >
          > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY
          > CENTER (FHC)
          > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth
          > village is paramount because records are organized by village not
          > nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis.
          It
          > is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records
          for
          > Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site:
          > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
          >
          > Assuming the religion is RC, LDS has Roman Catholic parish
          registers
          > of baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations for Župèany,
          > Slovakia, formerly Zsebfalu, Sáros, Hungary. Includes affiliated
          > town of Malý Šariš, Slovakia, formerly Kis-Sáros, Sáros, Hungary.
          >
          > Krstení 1767-1827 Zomrelí 1767-1827 Sobášení 1767-1827 Krstení
          1814-
          > 1854 Zomrelí 1814-1854 Sobášení 1814-1854 Birmovaní 1836, 1841
          > Krstení 1855-1891 Zomrelí 1855-1896 Sobášení 1855-1896 Krstení
          1892-
          > 1896 Malý Šariš - FHL INTL Film [ 1920557 Items 2-8 ]
          >
          > Krstení 1767-1814 Sobášení 1768-1814 Zomrelí 1767-1814 DRUHOPISY
          > Krstení, zomrelí, sobášení 1860-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1920557
          > Items 2-8 ]
          >
          > LDS also has the VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census film:
          > Kis-Sáros (Malý Šariš) FHL INTL Film 2189246 Item 8
          >
          > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
          > You can go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family
          History
          > Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
          > to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
          > film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
          > research.
          >
          > TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
          > Checkout http://www.bmi.net/jjaso/ for parish record header
          > translations.
          >
          > LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can
          download.
          > See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1
          for
          > details.
          >
          > 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
          > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
          > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
          >
          > Locate Eperjes = Presov in the beige area, mid-map. Go ONE village
          > west, into the pink area and locate Kissaros = Maly Saris. That's
          > your village.
          >
          > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics
          program.
          > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
          > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
          > will likely find in church records.
          >
          > It's a start . . .

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
            >>> religious background is Lutheran. I have my grandparents'
            marriage certificate. Interestingly, the headers (Groom's name,
            witnesses, etc.) are printed in German, which is not surprising
            given the heavy German influence on the Lutheran Church here in the
            US, but the minister filled in the blanks in Slovak. <<<

            The closest Lutheran church records (to Maly Saris) appear to be in
            Presov. There are TWO sets, one for Germans and another for Slovaks.
            See also below re LDS fiches #6000786.

            Secondly, on Ellis island you will find a child travelling with ggm.
            The marriage was typically celbrated in the bride's parish but they
            went to live in the groom's parish, where the children are recorded.
            Find the child's birth record and you will likely see a notation of
            the birth village of the mother.

            To Locate Lutheran Records Use LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
            Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
            references refer to different religions. Most of these church
            records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

            Presov Lutheran Records
            Protestant parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for
            the German-Hungarian parish of Prešov, Slovakia; formerly Eperjes,
            Sáros, (also known as Pressow or Fragopolis). Text in German and
            Hungarian.

            Krstení 1704-1767 Sobášení 1705-1808 Zomrelí 1704-1802 - FHL INTL
            Film [ 1793545 Items 2-4 ]

            Zomrelí 1802-1808 Krstení 1768-1809 Sobášení 1807-1841 Zomrelí 1840-
            1841 Krstení 1810-1841 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793546 ]

            Krstení 1842-1895 Sobášení 1862-1895 Zomrelí 1862-1895 Zomrelí 1842-
            1861 Sobášení 1842-1861 Index (krs., sob., zom.), A-Gy 1708-1895 -
            FHL INTL Film [ 1793547 ]

            Index (krs., sob., zom.), Gy-Ž 1708-1895 . DRUHOPISY: Krstení,
            sobášení, zomrelí 1876-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793548 Items 1-2 ]

            Protestant parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for
            the Slovak parish of Prešov, Slovakia; formerly Eperjes, Sáros,
            Hungary (also known as Pressow or Fragopolis). Text in Latin, Church
            Slavonic, German, and Hungarian.

            Krstení, sobášení 1720-1732 Krstení 1732-1765 Krstení, sobášení,
            zomrelí 1768-1770 Krstení 1779-1814 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793542 Items
            2-4 ]

            Krstení 1814-1867 Zomrelí 1839-1867 Sobášesní 1779-1867 Krstení 1868-
            1888 Sobášení 1867-1895 Zomrelí 1867-1874 - FHL INTL Film [
            1793543 ]

            Zomrelí 1874-1891 Krstení 1889-1895 Zomrelí 1891-1895 Index
            krstených, sobášených a zomrelých 1771-1891 Index krstených, zomrelí
            1892 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793544 ]

            Index sobášených 1892 Index krstených, sobášených, zomrelých 1893-
            1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793545 Item 1 ]

            Good luck and happy squinting.
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
              >>> my grandmother, Elisabeth Benko . . . grandmother was from
              another village near there. . . . Berunka <<<

              This is a "shot in the dark".

              SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
              You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
              them up in the phone book white pages at
              http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first
              three letters of the family name and the area code 051.

              Using current phone listings, I would put the (currently named)
              villages of Rokycany and Bzenov on on list of possibilities. If you
              stare at the Saros Megye 1910 map, south of Eperjes = Presov, you
              will see Berla = Rokycana and just southeast of it, Berzenke =
              Bzenov.

              Both villages have Bekos living there. Based on spelling
              similarities, I like Berzenke.
            • njbama75
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                Thanks yet again. The Presov lead makes a lot of sense. One of my
                uncles had written that his parents "met in church." They were,
                however, from different towns. Using the maps and advice you
                provided, Presov would be a logical point in a triangle from Maly
                Saris and Bzenov (or Brezany).

                G.

                wrote:

> [...]

                > the Slovak parish of Prešov, Slovakia; formerly Eperjes, Sáros,
                > Hungary (also known as Pressow or Fragopolis). Text in Latin,
                Church
                > Slavonic, German, and Hungarian.
                >
                > Krstení, sobášení 1720-1732 Krstení 1732-1765 Krstení, sobášení,
                > zomrelí 1768-1770 Krstení 1779-1814 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793542
                Items
                > 2-4 ]
                >
                > Krstení 1814-1867 Zomrelí 1839-1867 Sobášesní 1779-1867 Krstení
                1868-
                > 1888 Sobášení 1867-1895 Zomrelí 1867-1874 - FHL INTL Film [
                > 1793543 ]
                >
                > Zomrelí 1874-1891 Krstení 1889-1895 Zomrelí 1891-1895 Index
                > krstených, sobášených a zomrelých 1771-1891 Index krstených,
                zomrelí
                > 1892 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793544 ]
                >
                > Index sobášených 1892 Index krstených, sobášených, zomrelých 1893-

              • monica stewart
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
                  Hi,
                  I am not sure if this will be helpful or not, but my Mother grew up in Brookside, Alabama. She went to school with some children last name of Bencko(Bensco is pronunciation). Greg Bencko, one of the sons of Pete, who went to school with my Mother used to live next door to me in Birmingham, Alabama. The graveyards at Brookside and Cardiff Alabama may hold some answers for you possibly.
                  And also, there is a Russion Orthodox church there that many immigrants attended.
                  Hope this is helpful
                  Monica

                  njbama75 <gandrasko@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

                  ---------------------------------

                • monica stewart
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
                    Trying to help someone else. I forgot to say what I'm searching for. My great grandmother and grandfather came to Alabama from Austria, Hungary. His name is Patchen and her maiden name was Evancho. She was married to a Manosky before she married my great grandfather. They settled in Brookside Alabama. He was a miner.
                    I am just starting on this and really am unsure of what direction is best. I would love to find out about my ancestors, but would also like to see if I have cousins and so fourth in the "old country". I would appreciate any info or suggestions.
                    Thank you

                    njbama75 <gandrasko@...> wrote:
[...]

                  • Richard D. Custer

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
                        >>> I am just starting on this and really am unsure of what
                        direction is best. I would love to find out about my ancestors, but
                        would also like to see if I have cousins and so fourth in the "old
                        country". I would appreciate any info or suggestions.<<<

                        Take some time to check out the following web site.
                        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

                        JOB ONE is to figure out the village of origin. It is manadatory.
                      • johnqadam
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
                          >>> His name is Patchen and her maiden name was Evancho. She was
                          married to a Manosky before she married my great grandfather.<<<

                          1) You didn't say WHERE they were married. That makes a big
                          difference. If they married in the old country, they lived with TWO
                          villages distance.

                          2) Two of your surnames are quite unique. That allows playing "name
                          games" with the current phone listings. While not proof of anything,
                          the villages may serve to point you in the right direction.

                          SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
                          You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
                          them up in the phone book white pages at
                          http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first
                          three letters of the family name and the area code.

                          The Slovak area code map is at
                          http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonemap.html

                          Sorry if some accented letters don't reproduce correctly on your
                          screen.

                          Anna Maòovská Košice
                          Anna Maòovská Krompachy
                          Bohdan Maòovský Nitra
                          Jozef Maòovský Slovinky
                          Štefan Maòovský Slovinky
                          Mária Maòovská Slovinky
                          Jozef Maòovský Moldava nad Bodvou
                          MUDr. Ján Maòovský Rimavská Sobota

                          Alžbeta Patsányiova, Košice
                          Patsch(ova) 28X

                          Ivanc'o(va) 153X (too many to be useful)

                          The only "match" is Kosice in area code 055. Given area code 055,
                          and reiterating the search, we can reduce the possible village list.

                          Anna Maòovská, Košice
                          Jozef Maòovský, Moldava nad Bodvou
                          Alžbeta Patsányiova, Košice
                          Dušan Ivanèo, Košice
                          Ing. Eva Ivanèová, Košice
                          Ing. Vladimír-Igor Ivanèo, Košice
                          Jaroslav Ivanèo, Košice
                          JUDr. Emil Ivanèo, Košice
                          Katarína Ivanèová, Košice
                          MUDr. Imrich Ivanèo, Košice
                          Paraska Ivanèová, Košice
                          Prof.MUDr.CSc. Imrich Ivanèo, Košice
                          René Ivanèo, Košice

                          Now, if you are a betting person, where would you put your money? I
                          thought so. Did you say GC for religion?

                          CENTER (FHC)

                          LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
                          deaths for Košice, Slovakia, formerly Kassa, Abauj-Torna, Hungary.
                          Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian. Indexed. Children baptized
                          in 1852-1911 were from mixed marriages, where one of the parents was
                          Greek Catholic and the other Roman Catholic. The children were Greek
                          Catholic even though baptized in the Roman Catholic church.

                          Krstení 1850-1861 Sobášení 1851-1868 Zomrelí 1851-1864 Krstení 1861-
                          1882 - FHL INTL Film [ 1920770 Items 6-7 ]

                          Krstení 1882-1890 Krstení 1852-1911 (miešané manželstvá) Sobášení
                          1869-1908 Zomrelí 1864-1899 Krstení 1890-1909 - FHL INTL Film [
                          1920771 ]

                          Krstení 1909-1912 Index k matrike pokrstených 1851-1943 Index k
                          matrike sobášených 1851-1906 Index k matrike zomrelých 1851-1906 -
                          FHL INTL Film [ 1920772 Items 1-3 ]

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 5, 2006
                            Maòovská = Manovska
                            Ivanèo = Ivanco