Questions on baptismal records

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
      I just uploaded 2 Hungarian Baptismal records(Packo Records in Hungary,
      Slovakia) I have questions on. On the Janos paczko record can anyone
      decipher the notation after the name Janos, looks like 'Maj g.' and
      what does the term kapronszon nean in the last column on the record
      (this is not on the photo, the film reader printer ran out of ink, is
      that the pastor's name or something else?). On the second record, I
      call it Jataan Paczko, but I really can't make out the name correctly,
      he is Janos' brother, so I don't think it can be Johan or some
      variation of Jan or Janos.
    • Antal Burjan
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
        Hi,

        1.) máj 9. = 9th of May
        2.) I don't see anything on any of the images that resembles even in the slightest way to "kapronszon". The one sure thing is that it is definitely not a Hungarian word.
        3.) it looks like István (Steven, Stephen)

        Habve a good day,
        BA

        Tom <jaschr71@...> escribió:
        I just uploaded 2 Hungarian Baptismal records(Packo Records in Hungary,
        Slovakia) I have questions on. On the Janos paczko record can anyone
        decipher the notation after the name Janos, looks like 'Maj g.' and
        what does the term kapronszon nean in the last column on the record
        (this is not on the photo, the film reader printer ran out of ink, is
        that the pastor's name or something else?). On the second record, I
        call it Jataan Paczko, but I really can't make out the name correctly,
        he is Janos' brother, so I don't think it can be Johan or some
        variation of Jan or Janos.

        Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

        ---------------------------------

      • Tom Potsko
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
          Antal,

          The top portion of the Janos photo indicates date of birth of 15July and
          baptism on 18 July. I didn't get a copy of the reocord with kapronczon on
          it(malfunction). Jataan record looks like it starts with a J, but he had an
          uncle Istvan born in 1864, and a brother Stefan born in 1882. This record is
          dated 1874 only 8 months after the birth of his brother Janos. Could
          kapronszon be Slovak? Could it be cause of death? Thanks, Tom

          On 2/27/06, Antal Burjan <hungaricus_1969@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > 1.) máj 9. = 9th of May
          > 2.) I don't see anything on any of the images that resembles even in the
          > slightest way to "kapronszon". The one sure thing is that it is definitely
          > not a Hungarian word.
          > 3.) it looks like István (Steven, Stephen)
          >
          > Habve a good day,
          > BA
          >
          > Tom <jaschr71@...> escribió:
          > I just uploaded 2 Hungarian Baptismal records(Packo Records in Hungary,
          > Slovakia) I have questions on. On the Janos paczko record can anyone
          > decipher the notation after the name Janos, looks like 'Maj g.' and
          > what does the term kapronszon nean in the last column on the record
          > (this is not on the photo, the film reader printer ran out of ink, is
          > that the pastor's name or something else?). On the second record, I
          > call it Jataan Paczko, but I really can't make out the name correctly,
          > he is Janos' brother, so I don't think it can be Johan or some
          > variation of Jan or Janos.

          > Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family
          > genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

          > ---------------------------------

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tom Potsko
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
            Antal,

            One other question. I have seen my great grandmother's name spelled Matis
            and Matisz on Hungarian church records, what would the english translation
            be? Thanks, Tom

            On 2/27/06, Antal Burjan <hungaricus_1969@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > 1.) máj 9. = 9th of May
            > 2.) I don't see anything on any of the images that resembles even in the
            > slightest way to "kapronszon". The one sure thing is that it is definitely
            > not a Hungarian word.
            > 3.) it looks like István (Steven, Stephen)
            >
            > Habve a good day,
            > BA
            >
            > Tom <jaschr71@...> escribió:
            > I just uploaded 2 Hungarian Baptismal records(Packo Records in Hungary,
            > Slovakia) I have questions on. On the Janos paczko record can anyone
            > decipher the notation after the name Janos, looks like 'Maj g.' and
            > what does the term kapronszon nean in the last column on the record
            > (this is not on the photo, the film reader printer ran out of ink, is
            > that the pastor's name or something else?). On the second record, I
            > call it Jataan Paczko, but I really can't make out the name correctly,
            > he is Janos' brother, so I don't think it can be Johan or some
            > variation of Jan or Janos.

            > Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family
            > genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

            > ---------------------------------

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Antal Burjan
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
              Hi,

              Regarding Matis/Matisz it doesn't seem to me a Hungarian name. So I believe it is a Slovak name and you should keep asking members of the list who speak Slovak. I'm sorry but I can't help you with this one :-(

              BA

              Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> escribió:
              Antal,

              One other question. I have seen my great grandmother's name spelled Matis
              and Matisz on Hungarian church records, what would the english translation
              be? Thanks, Tom

              On 2/27/06, Antal Burjan <hungaricus_1969@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > 1.) máj 9. = 9th of May
              > 2.) I don't see anything on any of the images that resembles even in the
              > slightest way to "kapronszon". The one sure thing is that it is definitely
              > not a Hungarian word.
              > 3.) it looks like István (Steven, Stephen)
              >
              > Habve a good day,
              > BA
              >
              > Tom <jaschr71@...> escribió:
              > I just uploaded 2 Hungarian Baptismal records(Packo Records in Hungary,
              > Slovakia) I have questions on. On the Janos paczko record can anyone
              > decipher the notation after the name Janos, looks like 'Maj g.' and
              > what does the term kapronszon nean in the last column on the record
              > (this is not on the photo, the film reader printer ran out of ink, is
              > that the pastor's name or something else?). On the second record, I
              > call it Jataan Paczko, but I really can't make out the name correctly,
              > he is Janos' brother, so I don't think it can be Johan or some
              > variation of Jan or Janos.

              > Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family
              > genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

              > ---------------------------------

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Genealogy research Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

              ---------------------------------

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
                >>> Jataan record looks like it starts with a J, but he had an
                uncle Istvan born in 1864, and a brother Stefan born in 1882. This
                record is dated 1874 only 8 months after the birth of his brother
                Janos. <<<

                Istvan = Stefan. Since Stefan was born in 1882, I would look for the
                death of Istvan/Stefan a year or so earlier at age 6 or 7.
              • Tom Potsko
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 27, 2006
                  John,

                  I'll check between 1874 and 1882 for Istvan's death, Thanks, Tom

                • rkslovakrose@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 4 9:51 PM