Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] BIOLEK

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Mona <slatter3000@h...> wrote:
      > Hi Carole:
      >
      > I've been having such a frustrating time trying to get a good start
      on
      > tracing my mothers family tree. I finally was able to get a rough
      draft
      > of one from Germany from a lawyer that is handling an estate of an
      uncle
      > of mine whom I just recently learned I had among a bunch of other
      > relatives that I've never met on my mothers side due to they all
      stayed
      > in Europe and my mother came to Canada in the early 50's I think.
      She
      > passed away when I was 10 years old to Cancer and that is why I
      didn't
      > get to learn very much about her background.
      > When I caught your post, it was quite fascinating to me because I
      had
      > the same question about my mothers maiden names. I would love to
      hear
      > your thoughts if you don't mind on the information I have in
      regards
      > my mothers background as far as I know.
      >
      > Her fathers name was Johann Gyuk. GY is pronounced DY. My mothers
      > birth name was Terez Jug. She was born in Slovenia. Is the name
      change
      > due to the dialect? It's funny...when my mother emmigrated to
      Canada,
      > she also changed her first name spelling to Theresa. Myfathers
      name
      was
      > Dragutin Ilic and when he came to Canada he changed is first name to
      > Carl. By the way my parents met in Canada. I also have been told
      that
      > the "GYUK" name is very rare. My mother came from a family of 12
      > children. Would you know where I should start to look for
      information
      > of where my grandfather was born, for the lawyer didn't have any
      record
      > of it. Does "MurskaKobota" mean anything to you? This is the
      name,
      if
      > I am reading it properly is under my grandfathers name in this rough
      > draft of a family tree. I don't know what it means.
      > I will stop for now and hope someone will have some input on this
      > subject and then I'll follow through with it. What a job this is.
      Hee
      > Hee!
      >
      > Thanks a Bunch Carole!

      This is the Slovak-Roots site.

      Slovenia is not Slovakia .

      Some who seek Slovenija (Slovenia) think it is the the same
      country as Slovakia (Slovensko)

      Slovenia was formerly a part of Yugoslavia in the Balkans.

      Slovakia was a formerly part of former Czechoslovakia in
      Central Europe.

      Slovak is similar to Czech and the official language of Slovakia.
      Spoken by 5.6 million people.

      Ako sa maté ? (How are you ?)
      Rozumiem. (I understand )

      Slovenian is similar to Serbian and Croatian and the official
      language of the Republic of Slovenia , formerly part of Yugoslavia.
      Total about 2.2 million speakers (2 million are in Slovenia)

      Kako ste ? (How are you ?)
      Razumen. (I understand )

      Murska Sobota/Murska Subota is located 89 miles ENE of Ljubljana,
      the capital of the republic of Slovenia.

      The surname Jug appears under Ljubljana in the telephone directory.

      In most Slavic languages the letter J is pron. Y.

      Jugoslavija = Yugoslavia.

      Jug means "south" in Slovenian.

      In Hungarian the letter gy is pron. like di in word medium.

      The female given name Theresa (E) is Terezija, Tezika, Tezka
      in Slovenian.

      http://members.aol.com/sloveameri/genresources.html
    • Gerhard Burian
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2000
        Murska Sobota is a palce 90 miles ENE of Ljubljana.

        Best regards
        Gerhard

        I've been having such a frustrating time trying to get a good start on
        tracing my mothers family tree. I finally was able to get a rough draft
        of one from Germany from a lawyer that is handling an estate of an uncle
        of mine whom I just recently learned I had among a bunch of other
        relatives that I've never met on my mothers side due to they all stayed
        in Europe and my mother came to Canada in the early 50's I think. She
        passed away when I was 10 years old to Cancer and that is why I didn't
        get to learn very much about her background.
        When I caught your post, it was quite fascinating to me because I had
        the same question about my mothers maiden names. I would love to hear
        your thoughts if you don't mind on the information I have in regards to
[...]

        Mona Suitter
        Ontario, Canada

        Carole Haas wrote:

        > Thanks to all for the information. I have heard the explanation of
        > the Austria-Hungary Empire before. As my Grandfather was born in
        > 1888, that would put him in the middle of the Austria-Hungary
        > Monarchy. Then again, I might guess that what ever nationality one
        > declared would depend on their allegiance at the time. For example,
        > my Grandmother was born around the same time, but never declared
        > herself a Austria-Hungary anything. She insisted she was Czech or
        > Bohemian and nothing more...
        > As far as the name BIOLEK, yes some people Americanized it to BILEK,
        > but my Grandfather didn't. The only thing he changed was his given
        > name... from Karel to Charles.
        > When my Grandmother became an American Citizen, she did change her
        > name though. She also changed her given name too. She went from
        > Terezie BIOLEK to Theresa BILEK. This also was after they were
        > divorced. My Mother changed the spelling of her name to BILEK too,
        > but my Aunt kept the BIOLEK spelling and still goes by that today.
        >
        > I was hopeing that because the BIOLEK spelling of the name is rather
        > rare, someone might have some information on it. Apparently Grandpa
        > travelled around a bit when he came to America. We have him living
        > in Ohio in 1917, where he enlisted in the Army in WWI, but he was in
        > Iowa in 1919, where he met and married my Grandmother. Eventually,
        > they settled in Chicago, but he continued to roam. Which is one
        > reason they got a divorce.

        > Get paid for the stuff you know!
        > Get answers for the stuff you don’t. And get $10 to spend on the site!

        http://click.egroups.com/1/3020/0/_/545880/_/956964457/
      • grayce ezarik
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29, 2000
          Helene, I got it but I am not going to open it...........g

          > From: helenezx@...
          > Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 07:28:42 EDT
          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] BIOLEK
          >
          > This message cqme with a very odd signature - I had to go thru aol to clear
          > out my system of this - don't know what it is - is anyone else getting this?
          > It's weird.
          >
          > helene

        • Fred Corbett
          Message 4 of 9 , May 22, 2000
            There are several "BYELICK" families living in the Tarrytown New York area.
            They are first generation Slovaks from the western Slovakia area.

            fred Corbett fhcorbett@...