Re: "Our Slavic Fellow Citizens", by Professor Emily Balch

  • ajdolli
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2006
      Thanks, Bill, for the reference. I borrowed the book on interlibrary
      loan and have just finished reading it. Fascinating!

      Anabeth

      <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

      > I have recently received a copy of "Our Slavic Fellow Citizens", by
      Professor Emily Balch. This is an absolutely fascinating,
      authoritative account of our peoples, written during the period of
      highest emigration to America. If, in the course of your research you
      have every asked the question "Why?" Professor Balch has a good
      handle on the answer.

      > If you have more than a passing interest in the how, what, when,
      where and why of emigration from any of the Slavic people -
      Bohemian/Czech, Slovak, Ruthene, Croat, Slovene, Austrian Poles this
      is a "must read".

      > Professor Balch's writings are lucid and insightful. It is a very
      readable tome, while it is historical and anthropological in nature,
      it reads like a novel you don't want to put down. It has helped to
      "fill in the blanks" for me. Written in 1910, it provides a unique
      perspective that is lost to most of us today.

      > "Our Slavic Fellow Citizens"
      > Emily Green Balch, Associate Professor of Economics, Wellesley College
      > Published 1910, Charities Publication Committee, Press of Wm F.
      Fell Co., Philadelphia
      > Reprinted, 1969 Arno Press, Inc. LCC # 69-18758
      >
      > Professor Balch spent the greater part of the year 1905 in
      Austria-Hungary