Re: List update

  • Jgally
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 1999
      Searching the following name: GALIJ, GALLICK, GALIK, GALLY, Look Familiar
      to anyone?
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 1999
        At 05:49 PM 7/15/99 -0400, you wrote:
        >From: "Jgally" <jgsg@...>
        >
        >Searching the following name: GALIJ, GALLICK, GALIK, GALLY, Look Familiar
        >to anyone?

        Yeah--I kept seeing Galik occasionally in the parish records for Makov,
        Slovakia. LDS microfilm numbers for Makov are 2003291 (first item on this
        roll is from another town, then it picks up Makov) and 2003292 (entire
        roll). Also, my grandmother had a godparent whose last name was Gali; I
        wonder if that's another variation. (As far as I can tell, that was in
        Cadca.)

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • Mccartcomm@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 1999
          I'm researching my family roots,in preparation for a trip to Budapest and
          Slovakia.

          My grandparents Jossef and Elizabeth Kurta Dudash, were born in Nadasd,
          Koschita, Hungary and my grandfather was in the personal guard of Franz
          Joseph's son Rudolph until Grandpa arrived in the U.S. in 1985. They settled
          in Arnold City Pennsylvania, where grandpa worked in the coal mines.

          My grandparents Andrew and Mary Gesloski Benjock came from Odorin, Slovakia
          to Cleveland, and settled in Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania.

          These are phonetic spellings--can't find the cities on the map!

          I'm lost as to how to find relatives in the old country prior to our visit
          next spring. Any suggestions? I've gotton books from the library on where
          to write to check baptisms, etc., but is it as easy as looking up family
          names in a phone book in Budapest?

          Pleae help!
        • James A Honeychuck
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 1999
            Mccartcomm@... wrote:

            > From: Mccartcomm@...
            >
            > I'm researching my family roots,in preparation for a trip to Budapest and
            > Slovakia.
            >
            > My grandparents Jossef and Elizabeth Kurta Dudash, were born in Nadasd,
            > Koschita, Hungary and my grandfather was in the personal guard of Franz
            > Joseph's son Rudolph until Grandpa arrived in the U.S. in 1985. They settled
            > in Arnold City Pennsylvania, where grandpa worked in the coal mines.
            >
            > My grandparents Andrew and Mary Gesloski Benjock came from Odorin, Slovakia
            > to Cleveland, and settled in Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania.
            >
            > These are phonetic spellings--can't find the cities on the map!
            >
            > I'm lost as to how to find relatives in the old country prior to our visit
            > next spring. Any suggestions? I've gotton books from the library on where
            > to write to check baptisms, etc., but is it as easy as looking up family
            > names in a phone book in Budapest?
            >
            > Pleae help!

            > Campaign 2000 is here!
            > http://www.onelist.com
            > Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist. See our homepage.

            ODORIN 4856N 2038E Slovakia 169.6 miles ENE of Bratislava

            You can see it on a map via
            http://www.jewishgen.org/shtetlseeker/loctown.htm

            Jim Honeychuck
            Researching Hanicak, Urban, and Puhalla, Mt. Pleasant PA