Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] SLOVAK-ROOTS -SHIP - PRETORIA

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2000
      I just yesterday found Slovak family members, and more distant cousins, on
      the New York immigrant soundex list. Looks like one bunch came on the
      Prinzess Alice, arriving May 14, 1907. The others came later, arriving
      October 8, 1913. Let me remind people that the soundex cards vary in type.
      Prior to 1910 they are handwritten with the name of the ship, ports of
      departure and arrival, shipping line, age of passenger, and country of
      origin. After 1910 they are typed out in a numerical code. If you take
      this information to another list, posted on the NARA website, you can find
      out which microfilm roll to search, and you can also discover the year of
      arrival. That is why I now know the date of arrival but not the ship,
      because three steamers docked that day from Europe.

      My next mission is to look up those film rolls and find the actual
      passengers' manifest sheets. It's a real thrill, finding this.