Re: Trip to Slovakia and Poland

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
      The requirement for a specific amount of money per day and health
      insurance sounds like the old requirements from the communist days
      being repeated. It may be technically still required, it may be
      simply a hold-over in language someone repeated - or a suggestion
      someone interpreted as a requirement and published.

      Even in the communist days I never had the authorities check. As
      everyone suggests, I do most of my transactions with my standard ATM
      card.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, sunkat <sunkat@...> wrote:

      > I second this: I too have never been asked to show or prove if I
      had
      > sufficient funds or health insurance. However, it's my
      understanding that
      > you should at least be prepared to answer this, if asked, so I'm
      always
      > prepared. Other than (as John mentions) travel insurance, all
      I've ever
      > brought with me has been proof that I have medical/health coverage
      through
      > my employer. If anything happens while you're there, you're
      responsible for
      > paying the bills yourself & then submitting these for
      reimbursement to your
      > employer's medical/health insurance carrier...& apparently, that's
      how most
      > employers' insurance handle it.
      >
      > As for money, my Slovak husband & I used to bring some cash, some
      > traveller's checks, we'd use our credit cards in places that
      accepted them,
      > & we'd also get money using our ATM cards. (Although we try to
      avoid
      > getting cash advances from credit cards, I believe I've done this
      once
      > during my 7 years of going to Slovakia.) Now we don't bother with
      > traveller's checks because you have to pay to exchange them & (if
      I recall