About ads on egroups

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2000
      Folks.....

      Since using the egroups service is "free of charge" they attach ads to
      each message, and I have no control over those. Even Rootsweb now adds
      advertisements to mailing list messages unless you are paying for the
      list. I do have a few lists there I am "paying for", but am not always
      happy with Rootsweb in terms of their not being clear on their financial
      issues and they are not clear on "ownership" of archived messages etc.

      So it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

      Right now, I think we are fine on this server. Possibly in the future we
      might move this list over there, but it would be permanent (they don't
      delete lists once they are housed there). That's a step I am not willing
      to take right now.

      So, the ads are a nuisance, but it's a small "price to pay" right now.
      If they start causing lots of problems for all of us, then we might want
      to make some changes.

      Just thought I'd explain.

      Maura