RE: Trip to Slovakia and Poland

  • Jerry & Liz Dente
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2006
      I am booking flights to Poland and Slovakia and the airline says one of the
      requirements is to have $50 per day in cash on arrival for each day we are
      staying and also that we have health insurance. Does anyone know what kind
      of health insurance?

      Liz, Jerry, Pumpkin, Angel, Frank, Tank, Willie, Breezy, Brutus and Ritter
      Dente
      and our beloved Sweet Pea and her prince Roscoe,
      Austin, Rusty, Mozart and Tini at the Bridge.
      Brookfort Dachshund Rescue Resort in New Jersey
      Dachshund Rescue of North America

      ...You were never masters, but friends. I was your friend. I loved you well,
      and was loved. Deep love endures to the end and far past the end. If this
      is my end, I am not lonely. I am not afraid. I am still yours. (Jeffers)

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry & Liz Dente"
        <brookft@...> wrote:

        > I am booking flights to Poland and Slovakia and the airline says
        one of the
        > requirements is to have $50 per day in cash on arrival for each
        day we are
        > staying and also that we have health insurance. Does anyone know
        what kind
        > of health insurance?

        I have NEVER been asked about cash on hand and would consider
        carrying much CASH to be flat out irresposible. The bank machines
        work very well and issue local currency "as required" to handle
        situations not covered by a credit card. Others may have a different
        point of view. I would have a reasonable supply of Euros but nothing
        excessive -- certainly not $50/day.

        We have year-round travel health insurance -- not trip insurance.
        Around here, you can add it to your house insurance, as well as
        buying it from others.
      • sunkat
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
          I second this: I too have never been asked to show or prove if I had
          sufficient funds or health insurance. However, it's my understanding that
          you should at least be prepared to answer this, if asked, so I'm always
          prepared. Other than (as John mentions) travel insurance, all I've ever
          brought with me has been proof that I have medical/health coverage through
          my employer. If anything happens while you're there, you're responsible for
          paying the bills yourself & then submitting these for reimbursement to your
          employer's medical/health insurance carrier...& apparently, that's how most
          employers' insurance handle it.

          As for money, my Slovak husband & I used to bring some cash, some
          traveller's checks, we'd use our credit cards in places that accepted them,
          & we'd also get money using our ATM cards. (Although we try to avoid
          getting cash advances from credit cards, I believe I've done this once
          during my 7 years of going to Slovakia.) Now we don't bother with
          traveller's checks because you have to pay to exchange them & (if I recall
          correctly) it's a bit more expensive than just exchanging US dollars to
          Slovak crowns. More places accept credit cards, so we also use those more
          because they offer a decent exchange rate, & we always exchange US dollars
          for crowns (only at banks) as soon after we arrive as possible.

          I can't answer as well for using money in Poland, as we typically only visit
          the open-air flea market in Nowy Targ, which caters to Slovaks & will very
          readily accept either Slovak crowns or US dollars. I have, however, in the
          past visited Zakopane & was able to either use US dollars are exchange US
          dollars for Polish zloty with no problem.

          Kat ("Katka") Turk
          _______________________
          From : johnqadam <johnqadam@...>
          To : SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          Subject : [S-R] Trip to Slovakia and Poland
          Date : Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:52:54 +0000

          <brookft@...> wrote:

          I am booking flights to Poland and Slovakia and the airline says
          one of the requirements is to have $50 per day in cash on arrival for each
          day we are staying and also that we have health insurance. Does anyone know
          what kind of health insurance?
          ______________
          REPLY:
          I have NEVER been asked about cash on hand and would consider
          carrying much CASH to be flat out irresposible. The bank machines
          work very well and issue local currency "as required" to handle
          situations not covered by a credit card. Others may have a different
          point of view. I would have a reasonable supply of Euros but nothing
          excessive -- certainly not $50/day.

          We have year-round travel health insurance -- not trip insurance.
          Around here, you can add it to your house insurance, as well as
          buying it from others.
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
            The requirement for a specific amount of money per day and health
            insurance sounds like the old requirements from the communist days
            being repeated. It may be technically still required, it may be
            simply a hold-over in language someone repeated - or a suggestion
            someone interpreted as a requirement and published.

            Even in the communist days I never had the authorities check. As
            everyone suggests, I do most of my transactions with my standard ATM
            card.

            Ron