Re: Names to use

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
      >>> do you use the Latin first names, the Slovak name, or the English
      equivalent. For example: Andreas or Ondrej or Andrew? <<<

      I tend NOT to use the English equivalent but if he was born Michael,
      then Michael it is. That may switch to Michal in later church records
      and perhaps Mihaly. I don't like Josephus, for example.
    • sabolj@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
        You should record names as they are written in each record. The most
        important reason is to be as true to the documented source as you can.
        this ensures that your records are 100 percent accurate (that you did
        not plagiarize from another source). And it ensures that future
        researchers who may be relying on your records can go back to the
        source and find the names as you have recorded them.