Names to use

  • Karen Kabat
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
      Hello,
      I have been researching my Slovak roots with LDS records which are in Latin. My question to fellow researchers out there -- when you do your family tree records do you use the Latin first names, the Slovak name, or the English equivalent. For example: Andreas or Ondrej or Andrew? Thanks for your input.

      Karen Kabat

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
        >>> do you use the Latin first names, the Slovak name, or the English
        equivalent. For example: Andreas or Ondrej or Andrew? <<<

        I tend NOT to use the English equivalent but if he was born Michael,
        then Michael it is. That may switch to Michal in later church records
        and perhaps Mihaly. I don't like Josephus, for example.
      • sabolj@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
          You should record names as they are written in each record. The most
          important reason is to be as true to the documented source as you can.
          this ensures that your records are 100 percent accurate (that you did
          not plagiarize from another source). And it ensures that future
          researchers who may be relying on your records can go back to the
          source and find the names as you have recorded them.