Re: [S-R] 1920 Census Citizenship

  • rabbit
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2006
      Additional from 1920 enumerator instructions:

      130. A married woman is to be reported with the same citizenship as her
      husband.

      131. A foreign-born [footnote 1 here] child under 21 years of age is to be
      reported with the same citizenship (naturalized or alien) as the parents,
      unless such child has taken out papers of declaration, in which case write
      "Pa" Note that a person must be at least 18 years of age to take out papers
      of declaration of intention to become a citizen.

      132. Column 15. If naturalized, year of naturalization.-For every person
      reported in column 14 as "Na" (naturalized), enter in column 15 the year in
      which final papers of naturalization were issued. In case of persons
      naturalized through the act of a parent, enter the date of the parent's
      naturalization.

      Jim Crownover-
      CA
    • Paula
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2006
        I ran across this same thing last Thursday. I thought that my
        relatives were naturalized in Penn., which didn't make sense since
        they were living in Ohio. Thank you so much for clearing this up.

        paula

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "rabbit" <jec2@...> wrote:

        > From the 1920 enumerator's instructions:
        >
        > 129. For a foreign-born male 21 years of age and over, or a
        foreign-born
        > unmarried female of that age, write-
        > "NA" (for naturalized), if he, or she, has become a full
        citizen,
        > either by taking out second
        > or final papers of naturalization or, while he or
        she was