George Rabatin, Anna Marenchin, Anna Sobel, John Rabatin

  • wtravlr1
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
      My grandfather, George Rabatin b.1878 immigrated from Slovakia in the
      1890's. He may have come with his brother John. George's 1st wife
      Anna Sobel died and he married Anna (Roskos) Marenchin. It was also
      her second marriage. The marriages were in the early 1900's. We are
      not sure how they got to the US. They did not come though Ellis. The
      family is Luthern, and we are looking at towns around Presov. Included
      is Kalava, Vajkovce, Vojkovce. On George Rabatin's death certificate
      it lists the birth town as "Walkovec". Since we are going to Slovakia
      on April 20th, 2006, any help locating Luthern Rabatin's in Eastern
      Slovakia is appreciated.

      my family tree is posted at genealogy.com. and at LDS.

      Anyone needing photographs from around the Presov area as well, please
      let me know, if will be in the right area i will try to help.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
        >>> The family is Luthern, and we are looking at towns around
        Presov. Included is Kalava, Vajkovce, Vojkovce. On George Rabatin's
        death certificate it lists the birth town as "Walkovec". Since we
        are going to Slovakia on April 20th, 2006, any help locating Luthern
        Rabatin's in Eastern Slovakia is appreciated. <<<

        Are you still trying to figure out the correct village? Is it
        Valkovce at 49°10' 21°32' or Vojkovce at 48°57' 20°52'. Kalava is at
        48°56' 20°52' and is near Vojkovce. There is a mountain trail
        between these two villages.

        There are 20 Rabatin(ova) listed in area code 051 and 14 in area
        code 053. Some direct hits.
        Emília Rabatinová Kal'ava
        Ján Rabatin Kal'ava
        Jozef Rabatin Kal'ava
        ¼uboš Rabatin Kal'ava
        Magdaléna Rabatinová Kal'ava

        CENTER (FHC)

        Your local LDS Family History Center can get Evangelical parish
        registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Krompachy,
        Slovensko, Czechoslovakia, formerly known as Krompach (or Korompa),
        Szepes, Hungary. For earlier years see Catholic parish.

        Krstení 1784-1815 - FHL INTL Film [ 1739438 Item 7 ]

        Krstení 1815-1896 Sobášení 1785-1897 Zomrelí 1784-1896 - FHL INTL
        Film [ 1739439 Items 1-3 ]

        LDS also has Evangelical parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
        deaths for Giraltovce, Slovakia, formerly Girált, Sáros, Hungary.

        Krstení 1828-1866 Sobášení 1828-1868 Zomrelí 1828-1868 Krstení 1867-
        1895 Sobášení 1869-1898 Zomrelí 1869-1896 DRUHOPISY Krstení,
        sobášení, zomrelí 1862-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792107 Items 3-5 ]

        These are the nearest Evangelical parish registers to your
        respective villages.

        LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
        Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page
        references refer to different religions. Most of these church
        records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

        Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
        to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
        film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
        research.

        TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
        translations.

        LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
        See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
        details.